Featured Medieval - Caffa and the Black Death

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Aug 13, 2016.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I'd agree that there was no germ theory at this point, but they were aware that the plague could have been spread by contact. If anything, this started Europe down the road of looking more closely at disease and examining it, rather than relying on the Ancient Greek explanation of the four humors. There was at least one man in France (whose name escapes me) who kept meticulous notes of symptoms and attempts at cures.

So, we're the Mongols the first to practice biological warfare? Possibly - although chucking bodies from a trebuchet wasn't necessarily new (King Stephen of England threatened to hurl a young William Marshall to his death when parleying with William's father - and that was in the early 12th century!)

Jason Hoffpauir and Alegandron like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great write up FN!!!

interesting germ warfare discussion as well! i wonder if they thought that throwing the bodies over the wall would spread sickness (for whatever reason, sprits, bad smells)? if so, i think it would sort of count as germ warefare, even if they didn't have a clue what a germ was.

i've read about ancient/medieval people putting feces on their arrow tips, increasing infection...that would sort of count as well.

an aside: just putting your army together is a disease bonanza. i got this figure out of a book called man and wound in the ancient world, but from more modern times with some more reliable numbers.

union army US civil war death from enemy fire:110,065
    same army loss to disease: 224,586

FitzNigel and Bing like this.
  4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It is conjectured that was actually a fairly common occurrence then - even the Ottoman Turks used that weapon against the Byzantine Empire in 1453.

FitzNigel likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I wouldn't be surprised if the Makedon Army had not tossed a few heads via catapult during the Siege of Tyre in 332 BCE just out of anger and frustration. Humans are pretty resourceful during war... Conscious germ warfare? no. Tick somebody off? Yeah!

panzerman and FitzNigel like this.
  6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Fascinating posts, great maps, historical views! Kinda makes you wonder why some find history boring. Here are two of my Mongol coins..
    Mongol Dynasties/Ilkhans
    AV Dinar AH 703 Irbil Mint 8.09g.
    Uljaytu AH 703-16
    Mongol Dynasties/Ilkhans 1305172l.jpg 1305176l.jpg
    AV Dinar (undated/no mint) 5.46g.
    Abu Sa'id 716-36

7. thedredge

thedredge Active Member

Fantastic right up on your coins.
    It always feels good to feel smarter and more educated than I was when I woke up.

8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Thanks...I feel the same way. This forum has some very informed members, so glad I joined six months ago...

FitzNigel likes this.
  9. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Awesome writeup.. the story and history behind the coin is what makes it so intriguing and valuable

10. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Outstanding write up. In High School I was voted Mr. World History for my high school (5A Lubbock High Westerners/over 1,200 students)and my teacher was a Mrs. Blocker. The story you told was very well written and informative. Thank you for conjuring up some wonderful memories of my youth. Enjoy what remains of your day. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

FitzNigel likes this.
  11. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I was reminded recently of this excellent post by @FitzNigel from 2016 as I was researching this coin and reading a recent article on the spread of the plague. The author, Hanna Barker, looks to additional sources and challenges the story-line & timeline of Gabriele de’ Mussi. See: Hanna Barker, "Laying the Corpses to Rest: Grain, Embargoes, and Yersinia pestis in the Black Sea, 1346–48", Speculum, The journal of the Medieval Academy of America, Volume 96, Number 1, January 2021, University of Chicago Press.

[​IMG]
    Genoese Caffa, Filippo Maria Visconti (AD 1421-1435), AR Asper. 0.77g, 15mm.
    Obv: DV_M.D.:CAF; the arms of Genoa in a beaded oval of four arches, three dots to side and below of portal.
    Rev: Small Jujid tamga with 1 dot - tamga of the ruling Mongol Khan. Circular Arabic legend, السلطان العادل محمد خان (The Just Ruler, Muhammad Khan).

Bing, FitzNigel and panzerman like this.
  12. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Yea, I think much of de Musis has been challenged in recent years. While I haven’t read Barker’s article, I know I have seen other papers which have lead me to change how I cover this material in my class (can’t think of specifics off the top of my head at the moment…).

nice looking Asper!

Sulla80 and panzerman like this.
  13. AncientNumis

AncientNumis Active Member

Great writeup, fascinating.

AncientNumis

FitzNigel likes this.
  14. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Great writeup. I read this with great interest!

Here are three coins of Jani Beg. The third one shows the very rare countermark of Caffa on a Dirhem of Jani Beg.

Juchids. Jani Beq. with name Jalal-Ad-Din. Saray al Jadid. Dirham. 745AH

AD 1344

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 20.06.20.png
    Juchids. Jani Beq. Saray al Jadid. Dirham. 743AH. Uyghur type

AD 1343

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 20.06.36.png

Jani Beg with Caffa countermark

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 20.07.20.png

I also have several copper puls from Caffa.

Sulla80 and FitzNigel like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted