Featured Medieval - "All the moneyers who were in England should be mutilated"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Thanks for the article, this is what numismatics should be about, relevance to history, context. Anyone who researched their genealogy will generally hit a brick wall by the 1700s, as only the "nobles" go back further. I was speaking with a local librarian whose ancestry is traceable to around 1200 as she can trace her ancestry to nobles.

FitzNigel likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Great coin and super cool write up!!! Thanks!!

FitzNigel likes this.
  4. trussell

trussell Active Member

Has anyone found a one handed skeleton that walked with a limp?

NewStyleKing likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Worthy of a thread resurrection.

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I ran into this thread during a Google search for an article that I am writing bout the Norman kings. Yes, William II, Henry I and Stephen are all hard to find nice.

I have a low grade Henry I that is similar to the one in the opening post.

Henry I Penny.jpg

A few months ago I found this piece which is as nice as anything I will ever find or can afford.

Henry I nice.jpg

There was a Matilda penny that copped up in a Heritage auction a few months ago. I bid on it, but turned out to be the under bidder. Now, under their "make an offer to the owner" program, the buyer wants over $25,000, which is quite a bit more than he or she paid.

7. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

It seems like a number of decent Henry I coins have popped up lately. Always going for more than I want to pay, of course...

Draft saved Draft deleted