Medals vs Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Arvin, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Arvin

Arvin Member

Today the US mint sold out its new 2016 American liberty silver proof medals in minutes.

So I started to wonder, do Medals do well in the long run? Is there a large collector base for medals?Personally I don't have too much interest in them because they're not coins. I was struggling to decide whether to buy or not, then it sold out, so money saved I guess.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

My guess is those that have the gold will want the silver to go with it. There are not enough silvers to go around, so I figured it would be hot.

Cascade likes this.
  4. Arvin

Arvin Member

So you're saying people buy them as bullion rounds? It sold out so quick, caught me off guard. Then I went over to coin community, and people on there saying they're offered 100 dollars by big dealers (35 original price).

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who liked the design but didn't want to shell out for gold.

Paul M., jwitten and Arvin like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of medal collectors out there but I think you'll find they're not as popular as U.S. coinage generally.

This is known as flipping. It's a way some people try to make money off a Mint product shortly after release while it's still popular.

Arvin likes this.
  7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I'm with Jeff. I have a handful of medals. But I bought these because i really liked the design and couldn't afford the gold ones. It'll just stay in my collection.

Arvin likes this.
  8. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

I got the maximum of 2 each. Just got the order confirmation a few minutes ago. I was shocked to see them disappear so quickly. I originally only wanted one to go along with their gold sister coin, but after seeing the relatively low production run, I opted to max it out. It would only be $70 more... They are already selling for $100-$135 on ebay...

9. jwitten

I am even playing the aftermarket game, since I did not get as many as I had hoped. I have been paying about $90 each. yikes

10. Speedbump

I'm keeping one of each for myself, so I have one W and one S to sell. Wonder if I should list them now or wait until I get them...

11. jwitten

It really is hard to say. I got a few at issue price, but wanted a few more, so took the plunge at current prices. I have no clue if these will go up or down from here.

12. Arvin

Arvin Member

Wow that's crazy... Well i guess i'll have to wait until next year, i think its gonna be an annual thing now, right? A gold high relief liberty every year followed by a silver proof medal of the same design.

13. Arvin

Arvin Member

I say sell now, i just saw two get sold for 120 dollars each. The hype right now is crazy...

14. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

The price level proves yours is the usual view.

I own a few and there are others I would like to own, but I am not going to prioritize them over my core coin series.

In terms of artistry, I think medals blow coins out of the water. My favorites are European 16th to 18th century and compared to coins, they are really cheap.

Arvin likes this.
  15. Speedbump

It's a tough read... 12,500 is a relatively low number for a silver coin, but I'm not sure for a silver medal...

16. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

So today I was lucky enough to get 2 each of these medals. Or at least I have a confirmed order number, so I guess that's a good thing. I like medals although generally they have always taken a back seat to coins. Maybe some low mintage medals from the mint will spice up the desirability for them within the hobby.

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

12,500 is a high mintage for medals. My two silver medals, the USS Enterprise and the 350th Anniversary of Santa Fe, both had mintages under 1,000. Most of my 19th century European medals have mintages substantially less than 1,000. Most of my ANA Convention medals, 1969-1982, have mintages less than 500.

The suckers who buy this medal in the aftermarket will probably never get their money back.

Chris

Arvin and Jwt708 like this.
  18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Ahem.
    Sicily Combo-HR.jpeg

(Pic borrowed from @Zohar444.)

Arvin, jwitten and Jwt708 like this.
  19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Time will tell on that one though it is possible. If any modern mint medal was going to hold up to the test of time though it would likely be this one. The gold ones from last year still have a decent premium above spot which is more than can be said for a lot of products

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Its all about the gold owners wanting the silver too and not enough to go around guys. I'm thinking prices will stay up for these

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

IMG_0182 (2).JPG

IMG_0183 (2).JPG

IMG_1553 (2)[1].JPG

IMG_1554 (2)[1].JPG

Jason Hoffpauir, -jeffB and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted