Medallion for Egyptian Ladies

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by willieboyd2, Sep 5, 2021.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

This Egyptian medallion is based on an Austria-Hungary Empire gold coin.

[​IMG]
    Egyptian Ladies Medallion
    Brass, 40 mm, 10.88 gm

Obverse:
    Austria-Hungary Emperor Franz Joseph facing right
    MEDALLION FOR EGYPTIAN LADIES
    Reverse:
    Austria-Hungary Empire shield with double-headed eagle and crown
    MEDALLION FOR EGYPTIAN LADIES 1913 ( 4 )

The design of the medallion is based on the Austria-Hungary Empire 4 Ducats gold coin struck from 1872 to 1915.

The medallions were supposedly minted in Alexandria Egypt by local jewelers in the early 20th century for sale to tourists.

Some have appeared as part of ornate necklaces or "belly dancer" costume coins.

The Austrian gold coin:

[​IMG]
    Austria 4 Ducats 1915
    Gold, 40 mm, 13.96 gm

Obverse:
    Austria-Hungary Emperor Franz Joseph facing right
    FRANC.IOS.I.D.G.AVSTRIAE IMPERATOR
    (Franz Joseph I, by the Grace of God, Emperor of Austria)
    Reverse:
    Austria-Hungary Empire shield with double-headed eagle and crown
    HVNGAR.BOHEM.GAL.LOD.ILL.REX A.A. 1915 ( 4 )
    (King of Hungary, Bohemia, Galicia, Lodomeria, Illyria, Archduke of Austria)

The Vienna Mint has restruck these coins with the 1915 date for sale as bullion coins.

One of these coins was used as a prop coin in the 1957 Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger film "Ill Met by Moonlight" which is about a World War II German general who owns the coin.

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Wow!, @willieboyd2, interesting medallion. Nice find. From my observation, it's an unusual subject matter for something from Egypt. I collect Egypt and do have some tokens from Alexandria and also have some Egyptian medals. However, I have never seen anything like this in any Egyptian shop - and I lived there for 4 years and scoured the markets somewhat regularly. The Austrian coin one usually sees is the Maria Theresa Taler.

With the loop, at least this one was made for wearing. And I see it is dated 1913, in the same location as the date of the Austrian gold piece.

Would you mind sharing where you obtained it?

serafino likes this.
  4. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi @willieboyd2,

The film is "Night Ambush" in the US and "Ill Met by Moonlight" in the UK.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049357/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

- Broucheion

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  5. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

Just to add to this a bit, such imitations were also made throughout the Balkans before and just after the First World War, particularly in Bulgaria and Serbia. The principle was much the same as the 'Lebanese' Sovereigns of the '70s and '80s in that they were never intended to deceive (many are in fact hallmarked), but rather provide a more 'comfortable,' familiar unit for the person buying gold.

Broucheion likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted