Medal: Portugal Civil War (1383-1385) 600th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by brg5658, Apr 18, 2013.

1. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I never know where to post medals. They don't really fit well under any of the categories here...

Anyway, I believe this new acquisition is proof that you can collect beautiful medals even on a budget. I found this medal for sale from a seller in the north of Portugal on eBay. He has a lot of nice pieces, most starting at very reasonable prices. It is a modern piece, but I fell in love with the very high relief craftsmanship of the obverse design. All said and done (including shipping from Portugal) this medal cost me only $26. It is massive in size, with a diameter of 90 mm, and it weighs enough that my scale didn't go that high.

It commemorates the 600th Anniversary of the 1383-1385 Crisis in Portugal (article link to Wikipedia). The battle scene specifically portrays the Battle of Aljubarrota. In addition to the composite image, and large images of the obverse and reverse, I'm posting a picture of the medal with a Lincoln cent for size comparison. It's big!!

Thanks for looking, cheers,
    -Brandon

1985_Aljubarotta_Medal_90mm_composite_zpsbfe120e9.jpg 1985_Aljubarotta_Medal_90mm_obv_zps884415ab.jpg 1985_Aljubarotta_Medal_90mm_rev_zps877c00a2.jpg

1985_Aljubarotta_Meda_90mm_size_comparison_zpsaa71e1fd.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The detail is amazing, Brandon!

Chris

PS. One of my 90mm bronze medals weighs 12.2 ozs.

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very nice medal indeed! Great pickup

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Many medals don't do much for me, but even I like that one :thumb:

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very cool medal. medals are usually posted in the
    [h=2]"Let's see your exonumia!" thread.[/h]

Draft saved Draft deleted