Medal or Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Sep 18, 2019.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

With 60 mm. of diameter, the following coin must be interesting. I suspect it's a medal as well. The reverse is worn and shows possibly the base of an altar and a star above. That seems enigmatic to me, but I think it's likely to be ancient. I might buy it tomorrow. Glad to see any comment.
    Medalc O.JPG Medacoin R.JPG

ominus1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Not a coin.

dougsmit and 7Calbrey like this.
  4. 7Calbrey

Could it be ancient ?

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

No.
    Most likely a fantasy piece of something or maybe a tourist token/medal from somewhere.

dougsmit and 7Calbrey like this.
  6. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

It looks like it's made of zinc (not known in its metallic form to the Ancients) or some sort of "pot metal". I have no idea what the symbols are, but suspect that it is relatively modern. Zinc items can get corroded like that after only 30 years of burial, or even less time if buried in more reactive conditions. Save your money and wait for something genuinely awesome to show up! :)

7Calbrey, Andres2, dougsmit and 2 others like this.
  7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Definitely not ancient, but possibly antique, perhaps 50-200 years old. Looks like it's been buried for a while. How big is it?

8. 7Calbrey

Just as I posted above the picture. Diameter : 60 mm.

9. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

One side seems to show a nested rhombus connected to six stars, a moon, and also to an altar or planet.

The other side seems to show a structure and there is writing around it. I can’t identify the script. India? Indonesia? Not European.

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted