Medal or coin??

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by frech001, Mar 20, 2017.

1. frech001

frech001 New but Old

I would appreciate help identifying this medal or coin. It was purchased with Egyptian coins and appears to have a thin silver plating which has mostly worn off leaving a copper core. I can't even identify the language on the reverse, so any help would be appreciated. KS1176.JPG KS1177.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

It looks to be a Greek medallion of sorts.

4. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Looks like a copy of a silver tetradrachm of Macedonia, c. 156-148 BC. The reverse inscription "Makedonon protea" means "First (region) of Macedonia". You can see an original coin here:
    https://www.penn.museum/collections/object/119744
    (Click on the photos there to enlarge)

Definitely a modern copy, probably originally silvered. The style is not much like the original, so it probably was not meant as a deceptive fake.

5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Its a copy of a greek silver Macedonian shield coin.

Here's an Original one:

Macedonian shield Tet.jpg

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

I first thought it was Greek too, but since there is no backwards "N" in modern Greek, I decided it was Russian or Bulgarian or some other Cyrillic language.

Right now I am transliterating the coin's letters on the Cyrillic typewriter on Google-Translate, but nothing useful thus far.

7. doug444

I see now I got steered off-course by thinking the 4th letter was a B, not an E. The idea of Macedonia had occurred to me.

========
    I am always amazed at how easily the ancient collectors here can identify origins from just bits and pieces of words and data...

8. frech001

frech001 New but Old

Wow, That was quick. Thank you Andres2! From the wear on this medal of Artemis, a deity of fertility and birth, someone must have worn this medal for a long time.

Andres2 likes this.
  9. doug444

In those days, having kids as fast as you could was basically your Medicare, Social Security, Meals-on-Wheels, and hospice, as you died of old age in your 40s. You just kept trying.

This point of view persisted into the 1700s and beyond. Benjamin Franklin had 16 brothers and sisters.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Hispanicus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted