Medal by Charles Barber!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Jan 12, 2021.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

This Medal is huge at 3 inches across, approximately 1/4 inch thick and it weighs 8 ounces, made of bronze. This Medal is quite a beauty, no dings or problem areas at all. If you have a large Medal to show, here's your chance, please feel free to post pics! I just got this one today and I was quite impressed with it! Lastly, Barber died in 1917 so it had to be made before that. Sellers pics as mine looked terrible, just sharing and showing it off for discussion! :D

barbera.jpg barberb.jpg barberc.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Charles Barber was very talented but IMO it's too bad the talent didn't come through on the coins.

fretboard likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I love large medals. These are some of my favorites.
    Image_1100.JPG Image_1102.JPG Image_1115.JPG Image_1117.JPG Image_1119.JPG Image_1121.JPG

fretboard likes this.
  5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Another Barber design.

Z

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

fretboard likes this.
  6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

This medal, which was awarded to U. S. Grant for his victories at Chattanooga and Vicksburg, measures 105 mm. Believe or not the piece that was awarded to Grant was in sold gold!

Grant MI-29 O.jpg Grant MI-29 R.jpg

Next to a silver dollar

Grant MI-29 compare.jpg

The piece is in the Smithsonian. Here it is with the box in which it was housed when it was awarded to Grant.

Grant MI-29 Gold.jpg

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Looks like it shows the unmistakable signs of early-20th-century Smithsonian "conservation", too. :( "I still see some dust. Scrub harder!"

ZoidMeister likes this.
  8. johnmilton

Yes, the Smithsonian has not been kind to its coins over the years with respect to cleaning. I still remember seeing one of their 1804 Dollars when I was a YN and thinking, "But it's been cleaned."

In their defense, this medal is very heavy and soft. It's easy to damage it. You can get hairlines from the velvet lining in the box.

9. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

very neat medals

10. johnmilton

This political parade medal is similar. It is almost five inches in diameter, but it is hollow; it's just a shell. A piece like this would have been worn by an important party official during an event. This one is quite nice. These are often seen with a lot of dents. It is easily damaged.

1896 Large Mckin Proc Badge O.jpg

Issues of the day are covered on the back.

1896 Large Mckin Proc Badge R.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

wow.gif This is turning into a very nice Medal Parade thread, post em' if you got em'! :happy: The Barber Medal I posted above is the first big one I was able to buy, glad I'm able to show it to others! Very educational for me! ;)

-jeffB and ZoidMeister like this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Wow! an amazing paperback.

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted