Mechanical doubling

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Feb 21, 2018.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

i read up on some links from other threads here. I think I have a better grasp on dd verses md. I have a few coins that appear to be mechanical doubling....like what was described as the die bouncing. It's still hard to tell. I've been looking for notches or other tell tale signs. In the photos I attached, the "t" looks muffed. This is an example of mechanical fail correct? Loose machine parts, lack of/too much grease etc but NOT a die that is doubled. Only being here a day I can already tell that the dd topic is probably one that gets old to you veteran collectors. I appreciate any tips, tricks, best places to hunt etc for error coins....if there is any thing other than luck or buying.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT You are correct in some of you statements, here are a few sites that helped me.
    www.doubledie.com www.variety vista.com
    Also somethings that might help when you post here is always in my IMO, be sure to show both sides of coin and select full image when you post.
    That helps us to give you better opinion and state exactly what you're seeing.
    Dave

4. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Will do and thank you for the link.

5. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Excellent attitude! I’m glad to see you did your research before posting, well done. That being said I have to mention that some MD coins can be real tough for new collectors to tell from possible DD coins. Here is a tough one that made me jump fo a minute until I calmed down and looked at the coin with magnification to find that it WAS just a Machine Doubled coin and not a doubled die. I hope you find many error coins in your future, Reed and Sparkles the Unicorn.
    30183A7A-FF0A-4BCF-8A1B-546E51BD9A0E.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted