Measuring Clip Size

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Old Error Guy, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

I know the best way to measure a clip is by weight. When I do that, this coin shows it's a 1% clip - obviously, it's larger than that and was struck on an overweight planchet. Does anyone know of a computer based tool that could, easily, determine the missing portion of a circle?

Thanks.....

1972---1%-Straight-Clip---Obv.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm not 100% sure that it is a clip. Can you post a photo of the reverse?

Chris

4. Old Error Guy

I'll be glad to when I get back to the computer that has the pictures. I'm rather surprised, though, given the metal flow on "LIBERTY" and the obvious Blakesly.

5. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a legit clip.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Post larger pics of 'Liberty'.......I ain't seein' no Blakesley.......

7. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

from the G in GOD to the first T in TRUST the rim is not fully formed due to the Blakesly effect. genuine clip...

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Incomplete planchet evaluations are based upon what is missing not what "appears" to be missing.

For the subject coin, I'd re-evaluate my math if I only came up with 1% or I'd calibrate my scale.

9. 19Lyds

Uhhhh.......yeah but then that would put the "effect" in the wrong location. The Blakeslee effect occurs exactly "opposite" the clip. Not off to the side of the clip as this "effect" is the result of the rim not being raised in the upsetting mill which requires the coin to "roll" around an decreasing radius wheel which raises a "rim" on the blank.

"Questionable" at best.

10. Old Error Guy

Sometimes I wonder if SOME people on this forum are just plain mean or if their diagnostic capabilities are super lame.

In the first place, the genuineness of the clip was not the issue or question. It's real. Period. I can even tell you the counting room where it came from a mint bag. All of the normal diagnostics fit. There is no issue except in the minds of certain people that just don't understand the process.

To the guy that suggested I calibrate my scale - OF COURSE I DID. Two of them as a matter of fact. In this case, the planchet is definitely overweight and I thought it might make an interesting discussion of alternatives. I have solved this, by the way, but have no intention of inviting further derision here.

11. 19Lyds

A bit touchy today? HMMMMM.gif

12. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Nice one. Most people forget that straight clips tend to have a much reduced Blakesley Effect, as compared to curved clips.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

This link describes the math for determining the area of a circle bisected by a chord (straight clip).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_segment

This math might be a beginning of a much larger calculation. A fully struck coin will have significantly different thickness at different radius (ie. edge vs field)and the thickness is also vaiable due to the plethora of design elements.

The math isn't that bad if we only consider a flat disc and a perfectly straight clip.

14. Old Error Guy

Thanks for the input. For my purposes, an assumption of a perfectly straight clip and flat disk is sufficient. I'm not enough of a mathematician to solve the equations which require knowledge of the angle.

I did run across this site

http://www.1728.org/circsect.htm

only requires the length of the clip and the radius. Using my Harbor Freight calipers, I'm able to come up with a reasonable answer for this purpose.

You seem knowledgeable here - does this method make sense?

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The Web link performs the math & it looks great!

When you calculate the area of the segment [the segment is the green area in the diagram #2], divide that area by the complete area of an unclipped coin of same radius. That resulting number will be the percent clip. This should be the correct calulation for a straight clip on a flat disc.

If you assume that a curved clip is perfectly curved, then you could simply double the area of the segment you have calculated & then divide that (2x segment area) by the area of an unclipped coin of same radius.

Math is cool.

What chord length did you measure or what was the resulting % clip which you calulated for this coin?

16. Old Error Guy

I measured the chord at 9.63mm and the diameter at 21.13mm

If I calculated correctly, I get slights over a 2% missing area - less than I would have thought.

17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It is less than I would have thought also. However, this depicts 2.5% of a pie chart. After seeing this, I might concur with a 2% value on the clip.
    untitled.JPG

18. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Some of my favorites:
    Clip Cent 1989D.jpg Clip Cent ND1.jpg Clip Nickel 1989.jpg Clip Dime ND1.jpg Clip Quarter 1978.jpg

19. Old Error Guy

I see you share my fascination with clips. I particularly like the '89 Nickel. Do I see 5 clips?

20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Good question. I had to check the coin again. This silhouette shot indicates that there are at least four clips.
    clipped 89 nickel.JPG
    BTW, I actually share your interest in cuds. Nice avatar coin! I'd like to see a CT thread where everyone can post their favorite cuds.

Draft saved Draft deleted