Meaningful Nickel stats suggestion

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by GSDykes, Jan 11, 2020.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

I have been roll searching a few nickel rolls since 2009. Just finished my first box, 2000 coins - here are a few stats from this one box, the rolls were all wrapped by Loomis: (I also suggest showing some of these types of stats in future presentations, showing not just dates but also complete variety data, et cetera.). Also where the boxes were/are purchased, and if commercially wrapped, by whom.

oldest Jefferson --- 1939 P G6
    oldest coins --- 1920p and 1937p Indian head G4 G6
    cuds --- 2 both minor
    die chips --- " " "
    Gems --- 2018D, 2012D, 2016D, 1988D
    earliest FS --- 1989D (total FS found 49, most 2016-2018)
    2009 --- 0 (I suspect dealers hoard these until an opportune time)
    war silver --- 1 1945p G 6
    2005 Buffalo --- 18 (none speared)
    2016 p --- 1 (I kept it)
    1964d --- 37 none above VG 8
    1941d --- 3 none above VG 8
    world coins --- 1 Singapore 20 cents VF 30
    1982 p --- 1 F12
    2010 p & d --- 10
    satin --- 2
    proof --- 0
    DDR --- 1999 p, (2017 d MD?)
    DDO --- 2011 d (Liberty)
    lines in doorway --- 2002 d, 1999 d (I keep these)
    clips --- 0
    rim errors --- 0
    total 1940s --- 8 none worth keeping
    total 1950s --- 11 " " "
    total 1960s --- 15 (1 nice VF 30 1963p)
    lamination errors --- 0
    1975 d mintmark --- 0 (9 found all normal position)
    RPM --- 2 but too slight to keep
    die cracks --- 0
    toned --- 1 from someone's collection

Really an eyestrain, took me about 30 hours over a 5 day period. (While on vacation in Cascades, snow, snow, snow!!). ). I may put a few of the gems aside, and the DDR and DDO. Box was purchased in the Pacific North West, about 70 % were from the Denver mint. Might do another box some day, but I can find better things to do with my time. It appears that this was not your typical box, compared to some of the other posts. It was kind of boring.
    Gary in Washington

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What? You're not going to save the WWII silver? ~ Chris

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

All of these modern nickels are supposed to have full steps.
    You might as well say that you found 1998 coins with Jefferson heads.
    As for the 1989-D if it is not mint state, it does not qualify.

DatDareNickelGuy likes this.
  5. nickelsorter2017

nickelsorter2017 Active Member

I just happened to be on. Doesn't happen very often. Roll searching is like fishing. Fishermen never give up the hot spot of the season. Roll searchers never give up the area banks.

Why are you searching for full steps? And why are you grading the coins? You must be bored. For example - nobody collects 1964 D nickels. In any grade.

The pre-1956 nickels are usually heavily worn and/or damaged. Nobody wants them, unless they are silver or a key date. No sense grading them, it's a waste of time. The few that came out of somebodies collection in UNC are fun to find but you can search several boxes without finding one. Try to find somebody who wants to buy that AU 1940 P nickel (I have found several).

If you are having fun, that's great. But man, all that extra work would kill my eyesight and turn my neck muscles into rocks.

DatDareNickelGuy likes this.
  6. GSDykes

I did not keep any of the FS nickels, (other than a few gems) I just recorded the number found. I just recorded the number of 1964 d, as they are obscenely plentiful, all poor grade. Yes, the pre-56 nickels are very worn as I indicated. If a nice F12 pre-1956 did occur, I would record it, very uncommon. I did not find any AU 1940 p nickels?? I do not and am not looking to sell any nickels. I did keep a few gems and some of the errors for myself. Yes it is an eye strain, but it is fun at times, and challenging. And who implied that anyone SAVES 1964 nickels? I spend them, unless its a nice 1964d RPM, which I did not find.
    I just recorded how many were in this one box, in case anyone was interested.
    Gary in Washington

7. GSDykes

Yeah I saved it. Good eye Chris, but it was too late to edit.
    Gary

8. GSDykes

In the stats in my OP, I notice that per the Redbook, that of the "Journey" nickels, the buffalos were valued a bit higher, so I indicated the number found. The 2010 issues are not common, and even rarer are any 2009. Of course the 1982p are not common as indicated, especially in MS 63+. Also here in the PNW the 2016p, is rare. If anything the results are not impressive, just simply to prepare and alert other searchers to the challenges. I see that some boxes are impressive! This one was not. I do not sell nickels, if anything I buy them, much to my wife's dismay (No not really) but some nickels are costly. So, if these stats mean anything (and they might) one can better evaluate the cost of buying choice 2005 Buffalos or 2010 or 2009 nickels, or the rare errors. Their values may increase over time,
    Gary in Washington

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  9. GSDykes

Several of the 1989d coins were definitely MS 65! But I already have several in my collection. Many of the post 1990 had nice steps, but marred with bag marks, I did NOT record their number. Only FS coins with no marred steps are considered FS in my stats. I did find several MS 68-69, 2018, 2017 and 2016 coins! Real gems,really lusterous a couple with proof-like surfaces, cartwheel effects too.
    Gary in snowy Washington

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    DatDareNickelGuy and Kevin Mader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted