MD on hand punched MM?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JayF, May 16, 2018.

1. JayF

JayF Active Member

As I understand it, mechanical doubling is a quick succession strike. I'm not familiar with how the MM were struck by "hand" in the past and I'm curious how the md occurs when mint marks were still being manually punched on the coin. Someone correct me if I'm not using the right terminologies please. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I can't think of any examples where a mint mark was hand punched on individual coins. On the dies yes, but coins? Seems impractical.

JayF likes this.
  4. JayF

JayF Active Member

Oh, maybe that's where I'm confused about this whole thing. I need to read up more. Thanks!

5. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

The MM was punched into the working die. Often two or more strikes were required and this resulted in an RPM (Re Punched Mintmark) if the strikes were not aligned. The die was then used to strike coins, and if the die hit the coin after the strike due to looseness in the machine, it could cause MD. The MD can show on some or all design elements, including the MM.

JayF and Numismat like this.
  6. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Mintmarks were punched into the die, not into the coin. :)

JayF likes this.
  7. JayF

JayF Active Member

THANK YOU! I feel dumb how I worded my question lol. I know people didn't individually hand punched the MM on every coin..just couldn't wrap my head around the whole process. Thanks again!

Draft saved Draft deleted