md find after cleaning

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by galba68, Jul 21, 2018.

1. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

philippus l sestertius, 21 gr..
    upload_2018-7-21_23-8-47.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-21_23-9-15.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice bronze!

galba68 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Great find! How did you clean it up?

galba68 likes this.
  5. galba68

Alegandron, furryfrog02 and Pellinore like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice find! I'm just curious, do you keep your finds or do you sell them to dealers, collectors, etc? This is not an offer to buy. I was just curious in general.

galba68 likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice find. Congrats!

galba68 likes this.
  8. galba68

l mostly sell everything l find..there was a couple of coins which l was really "connected" like- Q.CAECILIUS MATELLUS PIUS SCIPIO republican denarius and OCTAVIAN denarius of Cyrene mint, with open hand on obverse..but, the offer of one dealer was too good..l collect roman bricks with animal foot prints on it..

Theodosius, zumbly, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a specific niche! Not just bricks... Roman bricks. Not just Roman bricks, Roman bricks with animal foot prints :D.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The link galba68 provided is wonderful but omitted emphasis on one thing needed to be a coin cleaner. Patience. Buckets full of patience. I am sure that the recent increases in bronze disease coins is attributable to poor handling of new finds. In the more distant past, I suspect that coins that were not deemed worth marketing were just trashed but now they are washed off and sold to those of us who hope we can save them all. The article mentions that the time to clean a common LRB would greatly exceed the value of the coin but my patience level makes it questionable on many better coins. I do believe everyone needs a stereoscopic microscope but I use mine for fun and investigating what someone else did to the coins rather than cleaning them myself.

galba68 likes this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I no longer clean LRB's as it can be tedious and not exactly worth one's while to "save" coins that might be worth $10 at best. Great find @galba68 !

galba68 likes this.
  12. galba68

my two bricks..roman bricks..roman bricks with animal foot prints..
    upload_2018-7-22_17-53-38.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-22_17-53-55.jpeg

13. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

galba68 likes this.
  14. galba68

BenSi likes this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are many, many brands an models of stereo microscopes. eBay is full of options. I doubt you will find the exact model I bought a decade ago or the one shown in galba68's link but they have in common the general shape and direct view (not LED) which I find pleasing.

I see several scopes being sold on eBay that are NOT what you want. Stereoscopic microscopes give a 3D view delivering a different angle view to each eye. You want that. There are Binocular scopes that have two eyepieces hooked up to just one objective that do not give 3D. You don't want that. There are even a few items being sold that are listed as monocular stereo. You can not be both at the same time. There are also some perfectly goo stereo microscopes that have a third tube on which you can attach a camera and record a 2D image while viewing 3D through the scope.

I know the link recommends a 20x scope for cleanig but I use mine mostly for viewing and appreciate having a weaker 10x option that allows you to see more of the coin. Mine is 10x and 30x with rotating 1x ad 3x objective pairs and 10x eyepieces. I'm sorry I can not provide a link to exactly what I would recommend but suspect that there are may that will do as well as the one I have.
    mag244.jpg

BenSi likes this.
  16. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Thank You very much for the advice and insight Doug.

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Also some binocular scopes have individual adjustments for eye spacing ( not everyone has the same distance between their pupil center) like the scope Doug shows~ notice the off center structures the eyepieces are attached to, you can rotate them to adjust separation. Also look for one eyetube to be adjustable so that if one eye is a different prescription, you can adjust one so it focuses with the other, Then you just focus with acuity until someone else uses it :)

Jim

Theodosius, TIF and BenSi like this.
  18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Is that your picture? Fake Naxos didrachm from antiquanova?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, when I took that one, all my coins were at the bank box so all I had at home was things like that.

20. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

BenSi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted