Maybe someone will know.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Because I sure don't! :D

I found this last year in a corn field near my house.

This area was settled sometime around the 1830s. My dad found a 1834 dime AU50 with his metal detector about 1 mile away from this site.

As you can see, someone has tried to drill it a couple times, and it has been man-handled by a plow a couple times as well.

Diameter is exactly that of a modern us quarter.

On the front, there is a basket, with some kind of grass in it.

On the back is wording, the words go around the rim, there is a circle, with words written in lines horizontally.

The letters appear to be regular roman alphabet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Note the diameter and thickness is just like a quarter.
    [​IMG]

Some wording, I can't make it out.
    [​IMG]

The "grass basket"
    [​IMG]

More shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I think it's a button.

5. Detecto92

Might of been used as one, but it was not it's original purpose.

It really sucks that there is all kinds of wording on the back, but the surface of the coin is so corroded, it's impossible to make out.

6. Numismat

Not because of the holes. It has the format of one.

The circle with wording is how many old buttons look. The wording is typically the company name and/or location they are based.
    If you look on that side next to the center hole, there is a crater where the shank broke. That's likely why the holes were drilled, to keep using it. Really goes to show how people recycled back in the early days.

7. Detecto92

Nice idea, but there is a hole right next to the crater. I think someone was drilling it, and when they made another pass, missed, and dented the side. I've seen a lot of holed coins with dents near the holes from someone doing that. People did not have power drills back then.

8. Numismat

One part of the lettering appears to read BIHAM or B;HAM. This is a common mark on 19th century buttons from Birmingham, England makers.

9. Detecto92

That's sound about right, but didn't most buttons have a curve on the rim? The rim is flat on both sides.

10. Numismat

The ones that are made of two separate pieces have that extra metal "bezel" to hold it together. Most basic buttons are just a flat piece of metal with a shank attached in the center.

11. Dennis68

Dennis68 Member

I agree,its a button. The hold in the center is from the rivit that held it to the garment. You can find similar buttons on older jeans and denim jackets.

12. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I think you've got it right Numismat. Good detective work!

Bruce

13. Numismat

Thanks Bruce! =)

14. tenacious

tenacious Member

But why would a button have designs on both sides? Usually the back of a button, the side you never will see, is blank.

15. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

I don't think it is a button.
    It may have been easier to determine what it is if your fingers didn't cover half of it though ;)

16. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

Its still very cool. Keep it.

17. Numismat

On older buttons the back side usually had the maker and their location.

18. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Exactly! Most old buttons were marked by their manufacturer. They're called backmarks.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted