Maybe a US two cent pc. Blank Platchet?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

What ever it was made for it was a mostly finished as again you see the edges are smooth.
    It most certainly isnt a slug...and I dont care how many years one sez they are an expert...as again in the retail food business I have ,operated, loaded, matained vending in store and out for 38 years as part of my daily routine. This copper blank has been tooled for a purpose just like platchets are prepared for striking.
    Im relatively sure it was intended to be a coin or medal... as most slugs are roughted up as smoothed are detected and rejected. Im going to take it to a store who has one of those guns that gives you the medals found in an object. To find out besides copper what other medal could of been used to manufacture.

* And BTW capt. Your know it all attitude towards the other posters isnt appreciated! This was meant to be a friendly discussion, on a piece of round copper.
    So that said... I as well as others can't stop your posts...but TG for the iggy button as your opinions as well attitude to me and....I'm sure others mean squat! ;)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

It is not my intention to question your expertise, Capt.

May I suggest you hold a 5X up to your screen, and 1) concentrate on the smooth side center, and 2) have you ever seen a blank Asian planchet, and 3) have you ever seen/observed/worked on a 400Amp Breaker, or an old manual shotgun fuse breaker?
    Now, pick one.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. charley

Yes.

Yes. Concur.

Yes.

I know stuff. I am old. I'm telling you...how much longer to you want me to live, to be satisfied?

Darn it, the Pablum dripped on my undershirt again.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. Paddy54

In fact I have heard of using copper cents as a quick fix in old fuse boxes...when a fused blew. And yes it worked fine ...accept for the fact that it defeated the fuse porpose to blow when a surge came into the box. Good hypothesis....and Charley.....you're a big boy now.... I believe that you can move up to Maypo....or Quarkers oats.... enjoy...

charley likes this.
  6. charley

Not a hypothesis, as much as a consideration for the Good Capt. that there are other things in world, besides a slug. However, lets assume the slug theory is correct. Consider the labor to produce such a piece, to rip off 25 cents or whatever amount. Maybe if the person was fabricating tremendous quantities, but then why have there not been a plethora appearing?

The Maypo? Give it to Mikey, he'll eat it....I am showing my memory abilities with that one. And my age.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. Paddy54

My thoughts exactly...this piece of copper was made ,and has finshed edges . It wasnt punched out and left as is..... as the edges wouldn't have been machined.
    And again that's the mystery..... the weight 6.22 g. As well its composition of copper ...And what else?
    As its as sturdy as a large cent...not pliable it would take a press to bend it...
    Thats why my take on it as it was prepared not left as with any lines on the sides "Rims" as its finished
    Not with any saw/punch marks. Lastly again I am at a loss on where I obtained it. But for what ever reason I kept it .

8. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

The only way to find out is to submit it. I have no idea how a TPG determines a coin blank versus a slug. Here's a great article on the process. https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/328/

Why don't more slugs appear? I imagine they got thrown in the garbage by vending machine people and banks.

9. charley

That is quite an imagination, when I can simply order blanks in any size, finish, weight that I want on Amazon from a fabricator-coin blanks, jewelry, cut outs, souvenirs, etc. The garbage collectors would end up having AHNOLD bulging muscles, from every enterprising American (you know who you are!!!) planning a mass coin/vending machine ripoff. Sometimes illogical logic is illogical, and most times a duck is....well....a duck.

This is a planchet. Developed to deceive? Possibly. Fabricated for coinage? Probable.

Stop thinking U.S. coinage. Stop thinking U.S. manufacturing only. I know of 5 Asian coins that have the same weight and measurement.

I know of 7 "slugs" that are Asian and Islamic that are the tolerances and finishes that the OP stated. I know of 2 British "slugs" that are a hairs breath from the OP measurements and finishes.

A few ideas for consideration and research:
    Spinks
    Album Rare Coins.
    Numista. BTW, Numista had a blank token that I wanted to purchase/exchange - 6.37G 21MM, and 2MM thick, smooth edge, blank without rim obverse and reverse, that could be the twin in appearance to the OP piece, N#120472 that is owned by Santiago Canaveras, in Spain. So.....Spain....(not part of the U.S.). Hmmmmm.

As to the garbage thing, if I wanted, I would not go thru all the trouble and effort to make ripoff slugs, when all I would have to do is order what I want from Umburry, NJ.-cheap, very cheap.

10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Good enough for me

11. Cheech9712

I’ll take #3.

12. Cheech9712

Are you using your good eye?

Draft saved Draft deleted