Maybe a US two cent pc. Blank Platchet?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Going though some old boxes today I found a few items thay had fallen off the radar. Now I can pretty much tell you a little something about most all the coins in my collection. But I found this blank platchet
    That is just a tad bit over 23 mm & its 6.22 g. Weight. Its a copper alloy...and if not what I expect it could be...it's definitely a blank for a world coin that fits the weight ,and size... My thoughts is that it is a blank for a US two cent pc. As its weight is spot on for the 2 cent 6.22 g. And if sent through a roll up mill to finish the edge I believe that it would fit on a two cent pc perfectly...and I can't find my caliber but its the same thickness as a 2 cent pc. Your thoughts? Now it may of been a blank that the mint used for mintage of a world coin. As the US does produce for other countries.
    See image next to a 1867 us 2 cent pc. 20220629_194035.jpg 20220629_194111.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Copper punch out. Just a plug,
    It has an upset rim?
    Whats the weight?
    The collar cannot shrink the diameter of the coin.

5. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

6. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Yours is very similar to mine, rounded on one side, flat with a small lip on the other. I was told a long time ago that it's just a punch-out. Mine is slightly smaller than a Fiji 1c at around 17.5mm. Check the edge on yours if its half smooth and half rough. Not sure where I got it but it's been in my junk box for ages. I tend to agree that it's a punch-out, from what I haven't a clue.
    Blank_combo.jpg

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Yep. Looks like it from here with these darned glasses. Getting new ones this week.;)

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. Paddy54

I dont believe that it is a punch out..as most ive ever seen and examine have a flat spot some where on the rim. The rim on this is smooth no flat area at all. The fact that its weight is spot on 6.22 g. Leads me to believe that its a 2 cent blank....or a blank for another copper from a world coin . Thanks for your input.

9. Paddy54

I'll reach out to Fred as he is the real expert on errors, I have a few connections through Coneca and we have talked severl times over the last 50 years. As a Coneca member, and contributing author for Error Scope Magazine.... there's a nice write up and interview with Fred part one of a two part interview....just hit my mail box this week.
    If your a Coneca member you will enjoy the article very much its a very good read...thanks for everyones input.
    Plus a plug for 4 more articles I've written to be in Error scope later this year. Thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. Paddy54

Mine in hand edge is somewhat finished ,and correct it is rounded more on one side than the other ,but again why tool an edge on an blank piece of copper if just a punch out of sorts,and a piece of junk or waste?
    I trying to think back as to where I got this.... from that be a better clue to its porpose.

11. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, here's the edge of mine, and sandwiched between a US wheat cent, Canadian cent, and 1982 Fiji cent. I agree that the punch-outs from a junction box etc typically have a burr.

IMG_0418-ccfopt.jpg
    IMG_0414-ccfopt.jpg

SensibleSal66 and Paddy54 like this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

But an upsetting mill can and does.

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Paddy54

I'll re image mine the edge later today...and post. Thanks for the follow up.

15. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Looks like a slug meant to pass as a quarter in a vending machine.

16. Paddy54

Its smooth like in the image for 360 degrees round the coin... a slug as such would be useless in a vending machine....as they are set to reject anything like this..and the size wouldn't match a quarter... I know as a store manager many times I had to deal with machines in-store as well the pony ride out front. LoL 20220630_155735.jpg 20220630_155800.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  17. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Blanks punched from strip for coinage also have a ragged edge. That by no means it's a slug.

Paddy54 likes this.
  18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

It does not appear to be a slug. Wait for more experience to chime in. Good luck.

Paddy54 likes this.
  19. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Your two cent piece pictured is 23 mm. The slug next to it is noticeably larger. A quarter is 24.26 mm. Take a picture of your slug atop a normal quarter.

It's a slug meant to be used as a quarter. The edge does not matter in many vending machines. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

20. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

I started doing this professionally in 1974. How much experience do you want?

21. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Perhaps mine was meant to be a dime slug. I did not think to compare it with a dime since it's copper, but it's probably close to the 17.9mm diameter. Payphones used to be 10c, parking meters too maybe.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted