Maybe a 1943 DD?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Aug 20, 2019.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

I havent had time yet today to look close for die markers or anything. At first look, theres a ton of DDs for this year. What do you think? The doubling on the date is nice. There appears to be some sort of chip in the "U" but its hard to tell and it just could be damage. The coin itself is in excellent condition compared to my other steelies. I took a few pictures with different cameras. It was hard to not get bad reflection yet keep the clarity. The last one of Abes face doesnt look like any doubling....its just a cool picture showing the nice detail of the pnny I thought anyway. IMG_6462.jpg IMG_6463.jpg IMG_6464.jpg IMG_6466.jpg IMG_6471.jpg IMG_6472.jpg IMG_6476.jpg IMG_6478.jpg IMG_6480.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not sure if this one is replated, but that shiny look is a kind of give away for them.

4. MatrixMP-9

Im no good at telling that. will the edge on a replate look different? This ones edge looks real uniform. I dont know how to tell or what to look for.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I've heard that the edge could look different, but am not really sure. It would make sense that the edge is iron and should age differently, so if it is really shiny, it might well have been replated. Wait for some of the mavens... @Fred Weinberg

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well the cent looks to have been plated, the doubling you're seeing is Md.
    However here's a hint look at the T in cent ,notice the die chip on the horzonal part of the T, and go to varietyvista.com. and look at the ddr's for the 43

Stevearino likes this.
  7. MatrixMP-9

I tried to get a good side pic.

IMG_6489.jpg

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This coin has been reprocessed.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Reprocessed agree.

10. Paddy54

The other thing some seem to loose track of 43 were steel not a soft copper to strike. The steel strike wore out dies I bet twice if not more as fast. Die deterioration and Md is not uncommon.
    There are a few 43 ddo/ddo's however they don't carry a premium.

11. MatrixMP-9

Thanks for all the insight!

Paddy, how the heck did you see that with those few pics? Pretty cool.

1943 DDR-009, 9-R-II-C+VI

Super fun to go and compare. What sucks is that if this by some rare chance this was a DD, plating it destroyed any value it may have had. For me and the type of novice hunter collector I am, its a keeper no matter what it is. I like when I can see lots of little detail on older coins.

IMG_6490.jpg IMG_6492.jpg IMG_6493.jpg IMG_6494.jpg IMG_6495.jpg IMG_6496.jpg

Again, thanks guys!

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

And the secret is.........research, reading,and the will to expand your brain power by again the knowlege you learned over your time in the hobby.
    But I am a variety collector......and the file cabinet is full of varieties that have been learned and filed for future reference.
    And I'll betcha every 43 P you find here on will be put to this test.

Draft saved Draft deleted