Maximinus Thrax Victoria Germanica Sestertius - a cast?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Nov 20, 2017.

?

Is this an authentic Victoria Germanica Sestertius?

1. 1) Yes, both are the very same coin in different lighting conditions or after cleaning in between

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. 2) The first coin seems original, so the second must be a cast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3) The second coin looks original and the first one is a cast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4) These are two different casts of the same host coin.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 5) It is the same coin, bur nevertheless a cast fake.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Hi folks, I bought this rather nice looking coin yesterday:

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500-1 (2).jpg

... and I was very happy, until I found this specimen (sold just a month ago: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4411686) which is not only a double die match, but shares the exact same flan shape, centering, cracks, weight (21,65 gr) and size (31mm):

4411686.jpg

What do you think? Can this be the very same coin despite the different toning, or is one or are both cast?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Same weight down to the 1/100 of a gram is strong evidence they are the same coin. Casts would vary somewhat in weight, even if from the same mold.

Moreover, look at the pattern of light and dark areas in the fields on both the obverse and reverse -- they are exactly the same, which wouldn't occur with a cast.

I believe they are the same exact coin -- the difference is the photographic conditions.

For example, compare these:
    Plautilla CONCORDIAE seated denarius long inscr 2.jpg Plautilla CONCORDIAE seated denarius long inscr.jpg

4. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Looks like the same coin with some cleaning that probably affected the patina color.

A really nice coin.

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Boy, those two sestertii sure look similar. So, I would ask myself, is that possible?
    --> Same shape planchet, edge cracks at the same location, wear pattern is also similar....what is the likelihood of that happening?

At least I would be very suspicious (like you are, obviously)

Further, knowing where this coin came from (seller in Mainz), that alone rings bells with me - I have been following his sales for some time now, and I have an undefinable bad feeling about his offerings.
    I have decided for myself to stay away from his sales.

If it helps at all, this is my example of the same type:

Maximinus Thrax Sestertius-Obv - 1 (1).jpg Maximinus Thrax Sestertius-Rev - 1 (1).jpg

6. Julius Germanicus

Yes, I remember your example and I wanted one, too! :)

I cannot say anything bad about that seller myself. The only coin I bought from him before was certified genuine by Sear.

Just asked him about the similarities and he agreed that it looks like the same coin. He told me that he was selling it "for a collector friend who must have cleaned it".

That "collector friend" must be more of a businessman than a collector if he buys coins, cleans them in a professional manner, and resells them via a "friend" within six weeks at a huge profit.
    But then I must admit that I love my Sestertii "clean" and it looks like the "friend" did a great job judging from the seller´s pictures. I would not have bothered to bid for it if I had only seen the pictures from the Savocca Auction.
    Now I wonder what it will look like in hand and daylight when it gets here later this week...

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

" Yes, both are the very same coin in different lighting conditions or after cleaning in between..."

I just voted as above and it seems everyone else is of the same opinion. It's a lovely coin!!!:)

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  8. Julius Germanicus

Thanks everybody! The seller just called me and confirmed that his colleague did indeed buy the coin at the Savocca Auction :). I´ll do my own pictures and a writeup as soon as it gets here :)

9. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Looks like the same coin, just cleaned. Here is my victoria germanica, but the other more common reverse.

max_victoria_germanica.jpg

RIC 91, C109 - Victoria standing left, holding wreath and palm frond, captive bound and seated. Weight 21.08 grams, width 28.5 mm

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

As has already been determined, they are two different images of the same coin. I like this coin very much! The reverse is unusually well-struck and shows no evidence of tooling - the detail is natural.

11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I am glad this turned out OK, Jens:).

Aber so viel für 'Aus Sammlungsteilauflösung!'.......

nicht seine Sammlung wie es aussieht. Ich bleibe trotzdem fern.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While it seems obvious that they are the same coin, that alone says nothing about the coin being genuine or not. To me, the main point is it would be better to buy coins from sources you have good 'feelings about'. There are a thousand sources of coins that may make an occasional honest mistake without having to patronize ones you simply do not trust whether that feeling is based on fact or just 'an undefinable bad feeling'. If you must have the coin, it would be worth the cost of a certificate which you might consider an educational expense.

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have a Thrax 1/4-Den to toss in...

RI Maximus Thrax 236-238 AE Sestertius Rome mint priestly emblems.jpg
    RI Maximus Thrax 236-238 AE Sestertius Rome mint priestly emblems

14. Julius Germanicus

Maximus Thrax Junior inherited his father´s chin and also received the title GERMANICVS after his dad had earned it. Here is my example of your coin:

P1080370.jpg
    P1080372.jpg

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'll contribute a Max Thrax sestertius to the thread:

Maximinus Salus Sestertius.jpg
    Maximinus I, AD 235-238
    Roman Æ Sestertius, 26.7 mm, 18.01 gm
    Rome, AD 236-238
    Obv: MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust, right
    Rev: SALVS AVGVSTI SC, Salus enthroned left, feeding snake arising from altar
    Refs: RIC-85; BMCRE-175, Sear-8338; Cohen-92.

Mikey Zee, Eduard, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

THANK YOU! I was NOT aware of that, and now I have both FATHER and SON:

RI Maximinus Thrax 235-238 CE AR Denarius Victory stndg.jpg
    RI Maximinus Thrax 235-238 CE AR Denarius Victory stndg

upload_2017-11-21_7-29-28.png
    RI Maximus Thrax Junior Caesar - son of Max Thrax 236-238 AE Sestertius Rome mint priestly emblems

17. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have only had one Sestertius of his. The reverse is double struck....

Maximinus Thrax

Obv:– IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– FIDES MILITVM S-C, Fides standing left, standard in each hand
    Minted in Rome.
    Reference:– RIC 43

Weight 23.22g. 32.33mm

[​IMG]

And only had one Dupondius....

Maximinus Thrax

Obv:– IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG, Laureate draped cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– SALVS AVGVSTI, Salus seated left, feeding snake rising from altar
    Minted in Rome.