Maximinus I Thrax denarius - Overstruck? Or am I seeing things?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Recently got a denarius of Maximinus I Thrax that looks like it might be overstruck on another coin? Or perhaps I am just staring too hard at a rough planchet? The place I think I am seeing this is on the obverse, behind the bust. Thought I'd toss it out there:

Maximius Thrax - PAX AVGVSTI overstrike maybe (1).JPG

Maximius Thrax - PAX AVGVSTI overstrike maybe (3).JPG

Maximius Thrax - PAX AVGVSTI overstrike maybe (2).JPG

Maximinus I Thrax
    (235-236 A.D.)
    Denarius - Rome Mint

IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG, laureate, draped & cuirassed bust ("big chin") right, seen from behind / PAX AVGVSTI, Pax standing left with branch & sceptre.
    RIC 12, RSC 31a.
    (2.91 grams / 20 mm)

Okidoki, Ajax, Alegandron and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice coin, a bit rugged but great portrait, love that chin...:D

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

kinda looks like the remnants of lettering behind the legend on the edge of the flan

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  5. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

On average, official denarii of Maximinus Thrax are among the best produced of the entire empire. Very few have ragged flans and most are well-struck from good dies on very nice flans. I commented on that on my site:

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Maximinus/Maximinus.html

The OP coins is extremely unusual for its ragged flan and reverse which looks flat (most are very very slightly concave on the reverse).

6. Marsyas Mike

Thank you for your insights, Valentinian - I have been on your website and it is awesome. In fact I consulted it when I got this coin about a week ago - on one of the PAX AVGVSTI examples you posted you described as "Big chin--but with some features of the late portrait" which I thought was similar to my OP example.

I only have two other denarii of Max's and as you note, on these the flans are small and neat, with a slight concavity to the reverse. This OP's flan is, as you note, quite ragged and flat. I don't think it is a fourree, and it doesn't seem like a limes either. The overstrike theory was just a wild guess on my part. I really do think I see a T and an O there...ANTONINVS PIVS?

Theodosius and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very weird and interesting! If that's indeed a "TO" I'd say Elagabalus or Caracalla are more likely than A-Pi.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Weird flan, for sure. I kinda see what you're talking about but am not convinced it's lettering. Perhaps just irregularities in the surface? Whatever, it's interesting.

Apropos of nothing, here is the Max Thrax from my old A-to-Z (Augustus to Zeno) portrait collection. It was an early purchase from my novice period.

His prominent chin and placid, benevolent-looking expression are details I've always liked about his coins. He actually looks like he was a nice guy. Maybe he was, who knows? (OK, so maybe he'd still kill you like any Roman emperor would, but hey, it wouldn't be personal.)

There were so many frowny-face emperors (Galba and Nerva being notable sourpusses on the coins I've had), so by comparison, Max Thrax almost looks like he's smiling on most of the coins I've seen. The stories of him being a giant are also fun.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Interesting....but I think it's most likely 'surface irregularities' as has been suggested. I still find the ragged flan to be intriguing though...and love the portrait/chin:)

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Looks like the last cookie of the batch! Not enough cookie dough, quickly tossed on the sheet, then baked as the bastard-child. Odd to see such a ragged flan.

My AE and AR Thrax seem ok on the flan:

RI Maximinus Thrax 235-238 CE AR Denarius Victory stndg Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Maximinus Thrax 235-238 CE AR Denarius Victory stndg

upload_2017-12-15_8-47-2.png
    RI Maximus Thrax Junior Caesar - son of Max Thrax 236-238 AE Sestertius Rome mint priestly emblems

11. Marsyas Mike

Thank you all for the comments.

Alegandron, the OP sure does look like the "last of the cookie batch." Odd thing is it weighs more (2.91 grams) than the other 2 more "typical" denarii of Max Thrax in my collection:
    Max Thrax Denarii (3).JPG

Max Thrax Denarii (6).JPG
    The nice one on the left weighs only 2.10 grams (I think it is genuine, but set me straight if in doubt) while the holed one on the right is 2.66 grams.

12. Marsyas Mike

There is an oddly benevolent expression to a lot of his coins - yours is a good example. In yours he looks like the kind of guy that would be fun to have a few beers with.

But Max Thrax has a horrible reputation - according to the Historia Augusta, anyway, which is about all we have to go on.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Historia_Augusta/Maximini_duo*.html

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, hence my aside about "he'd probably still kill you".

Joe Stalin and Saddam Hussein were also both somewhat handsome and rather jovial looking in some old pictures. Both had engaging smiles.

As did the crocodile in Peter Pan that took off Captain Hook's hand.

derkerlegand and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted