Maximianus Tet & Marc Antony Denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Some new additions to my collection. A Maximianus Tet from JA and my Secret Santa gift, my first Marc Antony. Thanks, Santa! ;)

[​IMG]
    Maximianus, (286 - 305 A.D.)
    Potin Tetradrachm
    O: A K M OVA MAΞIMIANOC CEB; Laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
    R: Nike advancing right, palm in left hand over shoulder, wreath upward in right; L / Γ across fields.
    Alexandria mint, AD 287/288
    22mm
    8.15g
    Emmett 4147, p.212

[​IMG]
    Marc Antony (44 - 30 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: ANT AVG III VIR R P C, Praetorian galley right.
    R: LEG III Aquila between two signa; LEG III across lower field.
    Patrae mint 32-31 B.C .
    3.14g
    18mm
    Crawford 544/15; CRI 350; Sydenham 1217; RSC 28

Legio III Gallica was levied by Julius Caesar around 49 BC, for his civil war against the conservative republicans led by Pompey.

The legion took part in all Julius Caesar's campaigns against his enemies, including the battles of Pharsalus and Munda. Following Caesar's death, III Gallica was integrated in the army of Mark Antony for his campaigns against the Parthians. They were included in the army levied by Fulvia and Lucius Antonius (Antony's wife and brother) to oppose Octavian, but ended by surrendering in Perugia, in the winter of 41 BC. After the battle of Actium and Antony's suicide, the III Gallica was sent again to the East, where they garrisoned the province of Syria.

III Gallica was used in Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo's campaign against the Parthians over the control of Armenia (63). Corbulo's successes triggered emperor Nero's paranoia of persecution and eventually the general was forced to commit suicide. After this, III Gallica is transferred to Moesia province, in the Danube border.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Nice. Love the Tet. I saw that but I'm currently grounded from buying any more coins until after the 1st of the year.
    She's gonna skin me when my last purchase gets delivered next week.
    I managed to intercept this week's delivery, if I can hide long enough to get some pics...

Alegandron, Pishpash and randygeki like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Both are nice and the Max is in much better condition. But, of course, I'm partial to the legionary denarius. Legio III is one of the many I do not have yet.

5. Bing

Wow! You sound like me. My wife says "Im sneakin" all the time.

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

you already opened your saturnalia present !?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.......

[​IMG]

;)

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

That tet is really nice! I used to not like tetradrachms of the period but they have been growing on me. Its also neat to have a coin that could been at (or maybe near) the battle of Actium.

My denarius is to worn to tell what legion it is.
    38348q00.jpg

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks, guys.

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Congrats @Mat !! Both are quite nice and very interesting.

I only have one legionary denarius which I'll refrain from posting, but I will throw in this Potin Tet of Claudius II from Alexandria: Claudius II Tet Potin Tet Alexandria  year I.jpg

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a nice potin, good eagle and I like the black/brown look.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

My only legionary denarius.
    MA Antiquae.jpg

12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! If you're going to have a worn out denarius, there's really nothing better than a Mark Antony legionary denarius. It's like their badge of honour from having circulated the better part of two hundred years.

David Atherton likes this.
  13. Bing

You can find MA legionary denarii in excellent condition, but the prices are through the roof. My only criteria is that I can read which legion the coin is attributed to. I'll take all the worn legionary denarii I can find until I complete my collection. Then I can look to finding upgrades.

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Mr @Mat: GREAT Saturnalia Coins! Man, the SaturSanta was great for you!

I have a Potin Tet from Alexandria, but it is of Carinus:

POTIN TET:
    RI Carinus 282-285 CE Potin Tet Alexandria Egypt 19mm Athena Seated holding Nike Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Carinus 282-285 CE Potin Tet Alexandria Egypt 19mm Athena Seated holding Nike

MARCUS ANTONY LEGIO DENARII:
    RImp Marc Antony AR Den 32-31 BC Leg V Ship Eagle Standards S 1479 Cr 544-18 O-R.jpg
    RImp Marc Antony AR Den 32-31 BC Leg V Ship Eagle Standards S 1479 Cr 544/18
    From WIKIPEDIA:
    Legio V Alaudae (Larks): 52 BC–86 (destroyed by the Dacians in the first Battle of Tapae), Julius Caesar (emblem: elephant) founded

RImp Marc Antony AR Den 32-31 BC Leg III Ship Eagle Standards S 1479 Cr 544-15 O-R.jpg
    RImp Marc Antony AR Den 32-31 BC Leg III Ship Eagle Standards S 1479 Cr 544/15
    From WIKIPEDIA:
    Legio III Cyrenaica (from Cyrenaica): probably around 36 BC to (at least) 5th century, Mark Antony founded

RImp Marc Antony 32-31 BCE AR Legio X Denarius B bankers mark Eagle Galley Standards Obv-Rev.jpg
    RImp Marc Antony 32-31 BCE AR Legio X Denarius B bankers mark Eagle Galley Standard
    From WIKIPEDIA:
    Legio X Fretensis (of the sea strait), also known as X Equestris (Mounted): before 58 BC–45 BC, Julius Caesar's personal legion.

Attached Files:

15. Bing

Love the Legion X and I still need Legio III

Alegandron likes this.
  16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's a Diocletian tet to compliment your Maximian:

Diocletian Tet.jpg

dlhill132, Publius, Mikey Zee and 9 others like this.
  17. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

MA Legionary denarii is a rabbit hole I would love to explore if and when I'm ever satisfied with my Flavian collection. It may be a while.

Awesome coins Mat!

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Mat => congrats on the two new additions!!

That is a sweet Alexandrian Tet ... I'm always happy when I see you buying AE examples!! (you seem to be dropping your guard a bit on the ol' BD-possibility, eh?)

... good for you

19. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yeah, but JA has a good return policy should any ever get BD.

Draft saved Draft deleted