Maximianus London Mint from 1865 Falmouth Hoard

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thejewk, Dec 27, 2019.

1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Maximianus.png
    RIC VI 85 - London Mint
    DN MAXIMAINO PF S AVG
    GENIO - POP ROM
    Follis
    25x29mm, 7.06g, 307 AD (Second Reign)

On 21 April 1865 two labourers, Tripp and Tallack, were ploughing a field forming a part of Pennance Farm in Budock Parish near Falmouth and discovered a hoard of around 1000 coins surrounded by a 'crumbling black material'. A large group of the coins were seized by the local constabulary due to a claim by the Duchy of Cornwall. Many others were dispersed within the local area, and Mr. Burton, owner of the fantastically named 'Old Curiosity Shop' was mentioned in the local press as having upwards of 200 coins in his possession that were freely accessible to anyone wishing to see them.

Soon after, Howard Fox, a prominent gentleman of Falmouth, influential figure of the large shipping industry, society man and Quaker, and consul for America, Sweden, Norway and Denmark at various times, negotiated the possession of the coins held by the police and a number of the coins dispersed in the local area. Soon after, in 1867, the coins were in the possession of his relative, Mr. Robert Fox, and were displayed by the Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society.

Then, on 20th July 1970, 584 coins in the possession of Mrs Janet M.K. Fox of Falmouth were listed for sale in lots of 20 by Christie's. Baldwins' Auction House purchased these coins and sold many of them, but in 1991 Lord Stewartby obtained the remaining coins from Baldwins and wrote a report for the British Numismatic Society on this representative selection of coins from the London Mint in the hoard:

https://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital BNJ/pdfs/2011_BNJ_81_1.pdf

At some later point, Silbury Coins, a small coin seller in the UK, obtained the remaining coins that were in Baldwins' basement, along with envelopes with Lord Stewartby's notes on them, and now I have one of them.

Maximianus envelope.png

Of particular interest is the small note of 24 on the bottom right corner, referring to the diameter of the dotted circle on this coin, placing it as one of 10 coins listed within the report as 'reduced size (24mm) Mintmark PLN, 307AD' of Maximianus.

Please share your coins of Maximianus, the London Mint, or anything you feel is appropriate.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

IMO, the interesting part is the recording of form of the laurel wreath ties in the lower left. I once knew a collector who was convinced there was a code present in these tie forms and was working on deciphering it when he passed away. I have not seen many people bother with recording these.

4. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

What is interesting to me is the date of the coin and the title it recorded: PF S AVG for "Senior" Augustus during his "second-reign."

Maximian2GENIOPOPROMmmPLN96100.jpg

25-24 mm. 6.61 grams
    Edit: Obverse legend: DN MAXIMIANO PF S AVG
    GENIO POP ROM
    PLN in exergue
    RIC VI London 90, "c. summer 307"

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  5. thejewk

It's obvious now you've said it, but I was sure it was an illustration of a part of the cuirass and couldn't see the exact spot. I assumed that was it because in the article he mentions specifically some coins with differently augmented armour designs.

Clearly I was wrong.

jamesicus likes this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice coin, and provenance, especially with all the available info on it.

I’m very fond of my second reign London mint Maximianus.

[​IMG]
    MAXIMIANUS, Second Reign
    AE Follis. 6.23g, 26mm. London (Londinium) mint, AD 307. RIC VI London 90. O: D N MAXIMIANO P F S AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right. R: GENIO POP ROM, Genius standing left, holding patera in right hand, cornucopia in left; PLN in exergue.
    Ex @Eng Collection
    @Valentinian, I think you mistyped "IMP" for the obverse legend, which should read "D N".

7. thejewk

That's a nice example @zumbly and yours is the turreted type, where my genius has a modius on his head.

Draft saved Draft deleted