Maxiamanus Nummis, ID tentative

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GeorgeM, Jun 10, 2023.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Could use some help ID'ing this piece. Seller had it labelled as a Maxiamanus Nummus, but I'm not sure how to ID the mint or narrow down the year of mintage. I bought it simply because I like it.

The defining traits that stand out to me are the bunny ears / V on the hair ribbon & the broad shoulder on his tunic. Can't seem to find anything that matches though.

And is the reverse a portrayal of Maxiamanus as Hercules? Would this indicate a deification issue after his death?

20230610_104150.jpg 20230610_104155.jpg 20230610_104209.jpg 20230610_104215.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Your coin is Galerius with an obverse legend of MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES and the reverse is GENIO POPVLI ROMANI. It was struck in Trier A.D. 298- 299 and is
    RIC VI Trier 358b

5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

6. GeorgeM

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

7. GeorgeM

expat likes this.
  8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

GeorgeM and Broucheion like this.
  9. LukeGob

LukeGob Well-Known Member

A lot of the names for ancient coins we use now are modern, the real name lost to time. There is usually a mass range for a specific coin, yes, but there is waaay more play than with modern coins & outliers are not uncommon. Weight standards for a particular coin would also change, almost constantly. It's a lot to learn, but, like anything else, eventually it clicks.
    Here's a link to a site with lots of good info, especially on the Tetrachy. Just scroll down to the relevant era, it's in order by year.
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/

GeorgeM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted