Maxentius Follis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for a nice architectural type and this one fit the bill.

Maxentius assumed power in a rebellion against Severus II, who had removed the tax exemptions enjoyed by residents of the city of Rome. The legend CONSERVATORES VRB SVAE declares Maxentius is the Savior of the City, protecting its customs and privileges. He invited his father, Maximian, who had abdicated, to resume rule. Although declared a public enemy at the Conference of Carnutum, he ruled Italy until at the Battle of Milvian Bridge, when he fell and drowned in the Tiber. His army was defeated by Constantine.

Post your Maxentius coins, architectural issues, anything you feel is relevant!

Maxentius.jpg
    Maxentius as Augustus, AD 307-312
    Roman billon follis; 6.57 g, 25.7 mm, 10 h
    Rome, AD 307-308
    Obv: IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, radiate head right
    Rev: CONSERV VRB SVAE, Roma seated facing in hexastyle temple, head left, globe in right hand, scepter in left, shield at side behind, Victories as acroteria, wreath on pediment, H left, R S in exergue
    Refs: RIC 202a; Cohen 21; RCV 14986

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very nice patina, and lovely detail on the temple!

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.46.58 PM.jpg

4. greekandromancoins

greekandromancoins Well-Known Member

Great coins! Here are two of mine. The top one still has some of the silver washing on the reverse. I love the distinct style of these types. Clean cut lines and sharp details. The style is not realistic and kind of comic book like but in an artistic way! The colour looks like chocolate. I reckon there is a market for cast chocolate ancient coins!

Maxentius_AE_Follis_RIC113_11112017b.jpg Maxentius_AE_Follis_RIC113_11112017.jpg

5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin, the exact type I am after now.

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I really like that dusty green patina!

There are a lot of these Maxentius Temple types with problem strikes. Here's one with a rotated double strike on the reverse.
    Maxentius - Roma Temple Rome Rotated Doublestrike 2393.jpg

And this one where Roma has gone MIA as a result of a flat strike in the middle but at least the neat little pantheon in the pediment are clear.
    Maxentius - Roma Temple Jupiter Hercules.jpg

The pediment figures from left to right: River-god, Jupiter, Hercules, and Sol.
    Maxentius - Roma Temple Pediment.jpg

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My only Maxentius with the image taken in my normal set up and one at an angle in order to see the detail better: Maxentius 1.jpg Maxentius 2.jpg

8. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

These also come with imperial busts. Though not quite so often.

Maxentius Follis

Obv:–IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, Laureate bust left, holding eagle-tipped scepter in right hand, wearing imperial mantle
    Rev:– CONSERV VRB SVAE, Roma seated facing, head left, in tetrastyle temple (four columns), holding globe and sceptre
    Minted in Ticinum (//TT). 4/20/308 - end of 308 AD.
    Reference(s) – RIC VI Ticinum 103

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted