Maxentius and his relatives

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I just completed a new educational web page on coins of Maxentius that use the words
    Adfini, Cognat, Patri, and Socero.

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/adfini/

The word "Patri" is not so unusual, but the other three words are very rare on Roman coins. Here is one of the coins:
    MaxentiusDIVOPATRI800.jpg
    Divus Maximianus, d. 310. Struck by Maxentius, c. 310.
    23 mm.
    IMP MAXENTIVS DIVO MAXIMIANO PATRI (3:30-5:00)
    PATRI = father
    Maximianus was the father of Maxentius. He had been Augustus for twenty years when forced into retirement upon Diocletian's retirement in 305. After a short retirement and two aborted comebacks, he was forced to commit suicide by Constantine in 310.

Maxentius had obvious reason to claim his relationship to his father who had been Augustus for over twenty years.

This coin, mint of Ostia, MOSTT, RIC Ostia 26

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very interesting! Thanks for the write-up, Warren. The coins themselves are excellent examples of these rarities, too.

4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I look forward to spending some time with that page.

5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I love that coin Valentinian, I have one nowhere near as good as yours, I will have to upgrade one day. 7b2ZTQ9km5BqNJa8W6yw4tcSD3LpeK.jpg

randygeki, gregarious, Jwt708 and 9 others like this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice, don't have one of that type. Just below.

[​IMG]
    Maxentius (306 - 312 A.D.)
    Æ Follis
    O: IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, laureate bust right.
    R: VICTORIA AETERNA AVG N, Victory advancing left with wreath & palm.
    In ex. MOSTT
    6.70g
    Ostia mint
    RIC 54

randygeki, gregarious, Jwt708 and 8 others like this.
  7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

What a letter from the insane maniac Constantine to the dead Maxentius might have read.

Dear Maxentius,

How goes it, fratris (brother)? Sorry about the whole pushing you off the bridge and letting you drown, thing. No hard feelings, right?

Incidentally, I murdered my wife (your sister). But hey, once you murder your brother in law, why stop there? Wouldn't want a little thing like blood ties getting in the way of a good murder. It should come as no surprise to you that I didn't stop there. I also killed my other brother in law, my nephew, and of course my own son.

Hey, thanks for the jewels too, I love covering every inch of my body with your former jewels. I'm vain like that, you know! After all, I'm not half the man you were, and if it wasn't for me hiding behind Christianity, I'd be known as the lunatic I really am instead of as a Saint.

Sincerely,

Your brother in law, Constantine the Great.

Constantine I Victoria reverse London.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I don't think the events of the times are as cut and dry as your post about CtG reflect. You could be right, but just as likely wrong. The history being taught in American schools has changed with the political environment. Some needed and some, well, not so. So I can only imagine that the history of 1700 years ago has changed as well. It's hard for me to presume that I might know the truth.

gregarious and Jwt708 like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, I know Romulus was a most noble man (NV) and twice (bis) Consul but if we read NVBIS all together we might call him the Cloud Consul and qualify him for the special word series with his relatives. :dead:

I'm still hoping to find a good explanation to what happened to this coin and why.
    ru4250bb1188.jpg

randygeki, Ajax, Johndakerftw and 9 others like this.
  10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Amazing. I've never seen anything quite like it either.

11. Gavin Richardson

For the lucky traveler who has plenty of time in Rome, sites associated with Maxentius--and perhaps even this coin--can still be visited, though they usually are on the secondary or tertiary itinerary. Maxentius's palace complex and circus survive adjacent to a farmhouse, and one can traipse the around the Emperor's circus to one's heart's desire, as long as one stays off the brick ruins--otherwise expect to hear the sharp whistle of the archeological superintendent.

Below are photos of the Maxentian Circus from January 2016, including the obligatory tourist selfie. Despite having been to Rome several times, I didn't know these ruins existed, so you can expect little tourist traffic. The Maxentian compound lies along the Appian Way just outside of Rome. A lovely walking tour could be had combining this and other sights along that famous Roman road. I was too scared to rent a bike, even on Sunday.

Note that the last photo is of the remains of the round Maxentian family mausoleum. I think the smart money is on this edifice as the inspiration of the coin reverse type, not the Temple of Romulus in the Forum. It was in this mausoleum that Romulus was buried.
    maxentius2.jpg IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1616.JPG IMG_1637.JPG Screenshot 2017-04-22 23.17.57.png

Attached Files:

12. Gavin Richardson

Oops. This is the Maxentian Mausoleum, or what's left of it. IMG_1617.JPG

chrsmat71, randygeki, TIF and 7 others like this.
  13. Ancient Aussie

Great pics Gavin Richardson, love that walk Appia Antica, did you also go a bit further up the road and see Mausoleo di Cecilia Metella, they had some ancient coins on display one a Nero Ses. 20151004_114125(0).jpg 20151004_114145.jpg

14. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

_DSC8g551.jpg
    Great coins all, temple with the wolf and twins on roof

David@PCC, icerain, Bing and 5 others like this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Here's my theory :D
    • The mint work was salvaging two (or more?) too-thin flans, working them together into one flan
    • The flan sandwich was heated and the obverse layer nearly molten when it was struck but the underlying layer wasn't adequately hot
    • The die was markedly cooler than the flan
    • In the first milliseconds of impact, metal from the obverse layer flowed into the obverse die
    • In the next milliseconds, the outer flan metal cooled, became embrittled, and as it "stretched" it cracked and separated at those weak spots. It also failed to completely fill the obverse die.

Maybe??

Orange Julius likes this.
  16. Gavin Richardson

I did see the Cecilia M. tomb but I was too cheap to pay to enter. I was also pressed for time--it was my last day in Rome and I was trying to soak up as much as I could. Maybe next time...I always need a reason to return. Roma, non basta una vita!

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  17. Ancient Aussie

We were there Oct 2015, a few months before you and just walked in couldn't see any where to pay.....maybe they realized there is money to be made and slapped a fee on it like just about everything else.

Alegandron and Gavin Richardson like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted