Max. Herc. Antioch Follis - what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, May 30, 2020.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I like to think that I am relatively experienced with attributing coins in RIC but this one makes me think that I am missing something.

Follis
    Obv:– IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, Laureate bust right
    Rev:– GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, Genius standing left holding patera and cornucopia
    Minted in Antioch (D / K | E / V // ANT). A.D. 300-301 ??
    Reference:- RIC VI Antioch 55a var. ? (55a has K | E / V).

RI 146dz img.jpg

I am fairly familiar with the coins from this issue and had recently bought a couple of Galerius coins from the issue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My coin has a Delta over the K. I can't find anything with these marking in RIC. Looking through a variety of online resources I can find other examples of coins of Diocletian and Galerius with the additional Delta and these have been attributed to this issue but none of these mention the additional Delta at all.

Is this an unlisted issue from around the same time as this issue or am I missing something?
    Regards,
    Martin

thejewk, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I would think yours is RIC VI Antioch 54b? The officinae covered for that listing goes from A-I. Yours is Δ-Є.

thejewk and DonnaML like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is another example of the unlucky theta (first letter of the word 'death') being replaced by the additive delta epsilon as was common in this period. The odd part is the separation of the two parts across the field. The people who made these knew what the K and V meant so they were not confused.

thejewk and DonnaML like this.
  5. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Doh. And I should have seen that. Many thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted