Maurice Tiberius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

From Wikipedia:

"Maurice (Latin: Flavius Mauricius Tiberius Augustus; Greek: Φλάβιος Μαυρίκιος Τιβέριος Αὔγουστος) (539 – 27 November 602) was Eastern Roman Emperor from 582 to 602.

A prominent general in his youth, Maurice fought with success against the Sassanid Persians. Once he became Emperor, he brought the war with Sasanian Persia to a victorious conclusion: the Empire's eastern border in the Caucasus was vastly expanded and for the first time in nearly two centuries the Romans were no longer obliged to pay the Persians thousands of pounds of gold annually for peace.

Maurice campaigned extensively in the Balkans against the Avars – pushing them back across the Danube by 599. He also conducted campaigns across the Danube, the first Roman Emperor to do so in over two centuries. In the West, he established two large semi-autonomous provinces called exarchates, ruled by exarchs, or viceroys, of the emperor.

In Italy, Maurice established the Exarchate of Ravenna in 584, the first real effort by the Empire to halt the advance of the Lombards. With the creation of the Exarchate of Africa in 590, he further solidified the power of Constantinople in the western Mediterranean.

His reign was troubled by financial difficulties and almost constant warfare. In 602, a dissatisfied general named Phocas usurped the throne, having Maurice and his six sons executed. This event would prove cataclysmic for the Empire, sparking a twenty-six year war with Sassanid Persia which would leave both empires devastated prior to the Muslim conquests.

His reign is a relatively accurately documented era of Late Antiquity, in particular by the historian Theophylact Simocatta. The Strategikon, a manual of war which influenced European and Middle Eastern military traditions for well over a millennium, is traditionally attributed to Maurice."

I just received confirmation that I won this solidus of Maurice in Frank Robinson's latest auction. It will make a great addition to my historical figures collection, and is my fourth gold Byzantine coin. I really like these and might go after a few more really soon. I really like the obverse of this coin. the portrait is well detailed.

Please post your coins of Maurice, Byzantine gold coins, or any Byzantine coins at all.

Maurice SB478.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Nice one @Orfew! Welcome to the even darker side, Byzantine :D
    b280.jpg
    Tiberius II Constantine
    578 to 582 AD
    Mint: Constantinople
    AV Tremissis
    Obvs: δ M COSTANTINVS P P AV, Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Revs: ЧICTOR TIbЄRI AЧG, Cross potent. CONOB
    16x18mm, 1.49g

b199.jpg
    Maurice Tiberius
    597 to 601 AD
    Mint: Carthage
    AE Pentanummium
    Obvs: DN MAVR TIb PP AV, Diademed, cuirass and paludamentum.
    Revs: Cross potent over · ϵ ·, N to left, M to right.
    13x15mm, 2.27g

4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Me too!!! Congrats on a terrific solidus!!:woot::woot:

I haven't really been collecting Byzantines since I returned to ancients....but here's a few I did pick up cheaply-----a Justin half follis and a Leo VI the Wise, Follis....and a very worn example of Maurice Tiberias:

justin half follis.jpg
    Leo VI the wise Follis.jpg

maurice Tiberius.jpg

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

40 nummi piece of Maurice. Came from an uncleaned lot - definitely the biggest and heaviest of the bunch.

maurice1.jpg

maurice2.jpg

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice job @Orfew ... you are stepping into some very cool YELLOW disks! Me love YELLOW!

I am very weak here. So, I will grunt out a couple BYZ disks...

upload_2017-8-18_14-38-49.png
    BYZ Manuel I Comnenus 1143-1180 CE Aspron Trachy 35mm 4.6g Christ Gospels Labaran globus cruciger Virgin maphorium SB 1966 scyphate

upload_2017-8-18_14-39-44.png
    BYZ Andronicus II - Michael IX AD 1295-1320 AR Basilikon 22mm 2.1g Constantinople Christ enthroned - Andronicus l Michael r labarum DOC V 1 Class VIII

7. Orfew

Thanks to all for the positive comments.

8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Lovely coin!

Anc-11a-R5-k0595-Maurice Tiberius-N40-tHEUP’-Γ-533.jpg
    ꝹByzantine Empire
    Maurice Tiberius, r. 582-602 A.D. (595-596 A.D.)
    Theoupolis / Antioch Mint AE Follis/40 Nummi, 27.35 mm x 11.4 grams
    Obv.: dꝹ N MAVΓI CN P AUT. Crowned bust of Maurice Tiberius facing, wearing consular robes, holding mappa with his right hand and eagle-tipped scepter in his left
    Rev.: ANNO left, XIIII right, tHEUP’ in exergue. Large M center, cross above, Γ below
    Ref.: SBCV 533

9. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Oh wow, awesome solidus @Orfew ! Gold strike!

Here is my favorite MT coin...

102_7001_zpscpsciieg.jpg

Maurice Tiberius, 587-588 AD, Decanummium

O: Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust left; DNMA (VRI)CI, IND ς (zeta, date year 6) in ex. R:Cross set on three steps; N M flanking; X in exergue. Carthage mint. SB 566. 18 mm, 3.9 g.

11. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Some people call him a space cowboy
    Some call him the gangster of love
    Some people call him Maurice Tiberius...

The only Byzantine photo I have at hand is this follis of Justin II (565-578) from the mint of Cyzicus:
    Justin II.jpg

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

13. Orfew

I took a new photo of the coin. I cannot believe how much detail is preserved. IMHO this photo is a much better rendering than the auction photo. Please click on the photo to see it full size.

Maurice Tiberius Solidus S 478.jpg

14. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

It's nice seeing posts on Byzantine coins. Too many of my collector friends think my taste in things Byzantine is a little curious. Let them so think! A few of my Maurice Tiberius silver coins follow. And one of his son Theodosius. S0551x.JPG S0551y.JPG S0553s.JPG S0553t.JPG S0615Ax.JPG S0615Ay.JPG

15. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

"The even darker side." Nice, I like it!

You did well on that one, for sure Orfew - great coin! Also love the Antioch/Theoupolis style portraits (@Mikey Zee and @FitzNigel), and @Voulgaroktonou: your stuff is always incredible.

In stark contrast to the nice style on the gold and Antioch folles, here's my Nikomedia year 8, the sort of thing that gives Byzantine a bad name here on CT:
    Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 10.47.04 PM.png

A bit nicer in Constantinople (year 10):
    Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 10.47.19 PM.png
    (I also have a nice decanummium that I picked up recently in a group lot, but no photo yet.)

Here's the jerk who succeeded him:
    Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 10.58.14 PM.png

16. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

Maurice Tiberius Solidus of 22 Siliquae 4,12gram and 21mm, Sear 529:

S529.jpg

Note that the exergue says "OB+*", and not "CONOB" - According to David Sear, if my mind serves me right, he said that this smaller Solidus has only been found outside Byzantine Empire's border and that it suggests it was used in foreign trade. - David Sear even argues that that particularly 22 Siliqua Solidus is minted in Antioch.

And here some private amateur photos with 2 follis and 3 half follis of Maurice:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Reverse 8.jpg 9.jpg

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      262 KB
      Views:
Draft saved Draft deleted