Maurice Tiberius Solidus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

I bought this coin way back in the day and posted it on a coin forum, it subsequently got like 2 responses( myself and the mod). So I thought I would show it off here!

Maurice Tiberius is one of history's more tragic hero's.
    He was a successful general under Tiberius II (Constantine) and won many battles against the sassanid persians. He married Tiberius's daughter Constantina and shortly after became Emperor on 13 August 582.
    His reign saw the consolidation of the Western provinces under a local ruler called an Excharch. For the first time in almost 20 years the Eastern Roman Empire had time to consolidate its holdings and go on the offensive.

After years of successful, but non stop combat against the sassanids, Maurice was able to finally bring the decades long war to an end by supporting the legitimate persian king against a usurper. The following treaty greatly expanded Roman rule in the middle east and allowed Maurice to deal with the crumbling west.
    ad_600.jpg
    Maurice promptly turned his army west and began campaigning against the avars, a powerful nomadic tribe who had been encroaching on the Danube for many years.
    Under Maurice's brother Peter, the Eastern army won many decisive battles against the avars and slavs. They even sacked and razed settlements deep in the tribes respective territory.

Alas all was not good. The wars of Justinian and Justin II had cost the empire much money. The Empire of Justinian could be maintained, but it was costing every last nummis.
    Tiberius II had raised over 15,000 troops to combat the persians, unfortunately this extra load on the coffers forced Maurice to cut as many corners as possible. In 602 Maurice ordered the field armies to spend the winter encamped on the far side of the Danube. The troops revolted and proclaimed Focas, a junior army officer, Emperor.

Not long after, Maurice was killed along with his six sons, but not before he had to watch each of them be beheaded in front of his very eyes. Their bodies were thrown into the sea and their heads were put on pikes for all to see in Constantinople.

And so begins the decline and fall of the Eastern Roman Empire.

It is unfortunate that many people simply gloss over Maurice's reign, had he not been killed it is very likely that he would have destroyed to lombards in Italy, thus altering world history as we know it.

It's characters like Maurice that inspire me and that make me think twice whenever I am dealt a cruel hand. This man fought long and hard for over twenty years to keep his civilization from collapsing, and that is truly a noble endeavour.
    Ave Caesar!

Maurice Tiberius AV light weight Solidus
    4.12 Grams

20140531_GJk92jZ7X4bPe8B3EQ8gKtS76yRpGF.jpg

Please post your coins of Maurice or any of your gold coins.
    Cheers
    byz124a_maurice_tiberius__80607.1362686727.800.800.jpg.html.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    stevex6, Eng, Herberto and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Sooner or later I will buy one of these. MT is cool, Khusro II really didn't like Phocus.

You asked for a gold coin...this is the one I got right now...

20 mm x 4.36 grams AV Kahavanu

CholaAnonymousLanka.jpg

stevex6, Eng, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's a very nice Maurice with very good detail. Sorry to say I do not have many coins from this period as I have concentrated on the Republic and early Empire (Roman that is).

Glad you insist on posting our gold coins so I have another opportunity to post my first and only:
    Valens 13.jpg
    VALENS
    AV Solidus
    OBVERSE: DN VALENS PER F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: RESTITVTOR REIPUBLICAE, Valens standing right, holding labarum in right hand & Victory on globe in left, cross to left. Mintmark star ANTE star
    Struck at Antioch, 364 AD
    3.6g, 19mm
    Antioch RIC 2d,xxxvii-5

stevex6, Eng, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  5. Magnus Maximus

Nice coins my collecting pals!

swamp yankee and Ancientnoob like this.
  6. Magnus Maximus

Bing, is your coin clipped?

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful coin and superlative narrative----I always love how a well written and interesting historical synopsis can tie a coin and the times together so beautifully!!!

I have one gold coin (tremisses) of Heraclius and a bronze follis (AE-40 Nummi?) of Maurice Tiberius:

Heraclius gold tremisses.jpg maurice Tiberius.jpg

stevex6, Eng, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  8. Magnus Maximus

I love that tremissis and follis, MZ!
    Those are two great Emperors on those coins!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Phocas
    rz0270bb0601.jpg
    Maurice really didn't like Phocas.

stevex6, chrsmat71, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  10. Magnus Maximus

I wonder why?:writer:

14260_0ce142d7.jpg
    Great coin Mr Doug!

stevex6, Eng, TIF and 4 others like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Maurice follis of Antioch year 17

An interesting thing to me is the large variety of legends used by Maurice. Mine is easy to ID compared to some.
    rz0230bb0789.jpg

12. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Thanks for a GREAT history behind this piece which is splendid!......

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  13. Magnus Maximus

Wow! I need to get me some of these one day. I would kill to own one of those rare Carthage or Italian mint Siliqua of his.
    Here is one of his father in law.
    It can be yours for only $980 :D
    9iXPZp4gD5wGSy2cr7HTJg3eo8XjMb.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Dr Barker, from whom I bought this coin suggested that it was clipped as the weight is on the light side.

Magnus Maximus and Ancientnoob like this.
  15. Magnus Maximus

@Bing I thought it might be. It may be clipped but it is still an amazing coin that I would love to have in my collection!

Many thanks Swamp Yank!;)

Ancientnoob and Mikey Zee like this.
  16. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Hey, I thought Mrs. Bing promised it to me!!!

17. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

Nice, I have my first gold coin ( a solidus) being shipped to me right now as well.

Bing, Ancientnoob and Magnus Maximus like this.
  18. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Oh boy! I can't wait to see this! Make sure you post it!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  19. Magnus Maximus

Great!!!!!!

I can't wait to see it!:greedy::greedy:

Mikey Zee likes this.
  20. shernan30

shernan30 Hammered Saxon Coins

Great read, thanks!! The gold coins are all awesome.

21. Magnus Maximus

Thanks Shernan!
    I am indebted to the entire Coin Talk family for letting me show you guys these coins and babble about them!

Draft saved Draft deleted