Featured Maundy Thursday and Maundy Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by johnmilton, Apr 1, 2021.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Today is Maundy Thursday, the Thursday before Good Friday and Easter Sunday. In England, the monarch gives money, in the form of silver coins to elderly people who are selected based upon their poverty and their service to their churches or community. Recipients may also be selected by clergyman of the various Christian denominations. Once selected a recipient remains one for life. New recipients are selected each year.

The gifts are given in two purses. The white one holds Maundy money in the one, two, three and four pence denominations. There one pence for each year of the monarch's life. A red purse contains £5 and a 50 p coin.

The modern Maundy coins do not circulate because their silver value exceeds their face value. Each coin has the portrait of the monarch on the obverse. and the value 1, 2, 3 or 4 partially surrounded by a wreath, the date and a crown on the reverse. These coins are highly prized by many collectors.

I have only two sets of Maundy coins which are included in coronation sets. The first a 1902 Edward VII "short set." This set goes up the the half sovereign and sovereign gold coins. The full set includes the two and five pound gold pieces. These coins are Matte Proofs.

1902 Edward VII.jpg

The exterior of the box.

Box.jpg

My other set was issued for George VI in 1937.

1937 Coronation Set.jpg

1937 Coronation Set Box.jpg

I know that some of you have some Maundy sets and would like to share them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Love your sets. This is my only Maundy coin, a circulated 1839 groat.

4F3F7C39-9928-47FF-9E72-636CF36E164D.jpeg A5F11D7B-26DC-4B21-B723-012AFB9F0EFD.jpeg

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

So, let me understand this, you are elderly and poor so you got these coins? LOL Just joshing you of course. Neat information. Thanks for the post.

johnmilton and hotwheelsearl like this.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I have a few but none in the original box.

Maundy 1660.jpg
    Maundy 1800.jpg
    Maundy-1823.jpg
    Maundy 1848.jpg
    Maundy 1908.jpg
    Maundy 1955.jpg

7. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing; the write-up is a concise history lesson. I have a few scattered Maundy issues, but certainly, no nice sets like you have. And I like that you have the cases in which they came.

GeorgeM and johnmilton like this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Yes, the issue cases mean something to me too. All to often they get discarded when the coins are slabbed. Sometimes they are sold separately. When I finished the 1937 George VI gold set, I found an empty case on eBay.

9. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

I have only one Maundy coin: 1868 4 pence

[​IMG]

10. Oklahomacoinguy

Oklahomacoinguy Active Member

My only maundy coin. Does anyone know what the mintage was for the 1831 proofs? IMG_20210405_225659377.jpg

11. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

NGC says 3,564 for the PL's so I think half of that for the proofs?Your coin is extremely rare and scarce otherwise.

12. Oklahomacoinguy

Oklahomacoinguy Active Member

I figured it is from the 1831 coronation proof set, have heard around 100 to 150 but never been sure. The seller had the set up on eBay a few months ago with a very cheap buy it now price got extremely lucky. But only snagged the 4d as the 3d was a details and 2d and 1d were lower grades. Kinda regret not getting all now.

Draft saved Draft deleted