Mats Top Coins of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

2020 has been an overall terrible year. From the stuff going on in the world to most, losing my mother to liver cancer in early April. And just recently lost my step-uncle to Covid on Dec 12. First-person I know to die from it.

But one of the silver linings was I crossed off many coins that I had on a years-long want list, some going all the way back to when I started collecting coins in the late 1980s as a kid.

So this isn’t a “top 10”, as there are more than 10 on the list. I could have easily added more but I think this is enough.

First off is the #1 want list for ancient coins and that was a portrait of Julius Caesar. I have always been on the lookout for one in a price range I could swing but most of the time it was sold or I got outbid. Thankfully one of my main coin dealers listed it and I was lucky to pounce on it freshly listed.

It won’t win any condition awards but I think it’s a pretty good coin all around. There was much worse I eyed over the years at a higher cost.

[​IMG]
    Julius Caesar (February-March 44 B.C)
    AR Denarius
    O: Wreathed head of Caesar right; CAESAR downward to right, DICT PERPETVO upward to left.
    R:Venus Victrix standing left, holding Victory in outstretched right hand and vertical scepter in left; L • BVC[A] downwards to right. L. Aemilius Buca, moneyer.
    Rome Mint
    3.92g
    17mm
    Crawford 480/8; Alföldi Type XIV, 62–3, 67, and 69 (A13/R22); CRI 105; Sydenham 1061; RSC 23; RBW 1683.

Next is one of the coins I have wanted since I was a kid, that was an Arrows & Rays half dollar. I’ve owned many quarters of the type since childhood, but never the big half. I caved this year & bought one.

[​IMG]

Another coin I have wanted as a kid. Ever since I saw this coin in the beginning pages of Red Book, it was a goal to get one. I admit I never searched hard for one. But I saw this on a Harlan BOB sale & to me the price was right & I loved the toning.

[​IMG]
    Ferdinand VI (1747 - 1759)
    Mexico AR 8 Reales
    O: FERDND·VI·D·G·HISPAN·ET IND·REX M F 8, Crowned arms shield flanked by value and initials.
    R: VTRAQUE VNUM; Mo 1756 MoCrowned hemispheres flanked by crowned pillars.
    27g
    39mm
    KM#104.2

Ex. Harlan J Berk Buy or Bid Sale #212, July 2020

This next coin is not a coin I have wanted for decades, but it is one I have wanted since I got back into collecting coins as an adult in late 2000. When I first registered here I saw this coin posted on the world forum by Zohar & was smitten. I was intrigued by a ruler who had a nickname “hog mouth”. It took a while but I eventually acquired one this year.

[​IMG]
    Leopold I, "Hogmouth" (1657 - 1705 A.D.)
    AR Thaler
    O: LEOPOLDVS D G RO I S A GER HV BO REX; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: ARCHIDVX AVS DVX BVR MAR MOR CO TY; 1692 Crowned imperial double-headed eagle, holding sword and sceptre; crowned arms on breast within Order of the Golden Fleece; K-B flanking tail.
    Kremnitz (Hungary) Mint
    47mm
    28.55g
    Davenport 3262; KM 214.3

When I got into ancient coins I remember reading Dougs website like all of us have done at one time & one of the writings that struck a chord with me was “Die Guides”. I found it fascinating to see something show up on something so old. So it was always a little goal to get a coin that featured one. I saw this coin posted on Prafectus coins as a new listing and purchased it. It also fit another want, a Vespasian that was from another mint. So a double win.

[​IMG]
    Vespasian (69 - 79 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IMP CAES VESP AVG P M COS IIII, Laureate head right.
    R: CONCORDIA AVGVSTI, Concordia seated left on throne, holding cornucopia and patera.
    Antioch Mint, AD 72-73
    3.28g
    17mm
    RIC² 1554 ( R2 ) , RSC 74 , 1927

When I started out in ancients I had a pretty big focus on the Empresses before I slowly went into other directions & that was due to needing the more expensive empresses. This year I acquired one & it’s Domitia & a Tetradrachm no less.

[​IMG]
    Domitia (82 - 83 A.D.)
    AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm
    O: DOMITIA AVGVSTA, draped bust right.
    R: VENVS AVG, Venus standing right, leaning on cippus, holding helmet and spear.
    Ephesus mint. Struck 82-83 AD.
    10.29g
    26mm
    RIC II 230 (Domitian); RPC II 870; BMCRE 256 (Domitian); BN 226; RSC 1

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

So this next coin probably has many of you wondering, “Why”, it’s not rare, it isn’t a beauty condition wise. Well the main reason is that I bought it for its weight. To this day I have yet to see a Salonina this heavy, but I’m sure one may exist. I love ancients that have extra added weight to them.

[​IMG]
    Salonina (254 - 268 A.D.)
    Billon Antoninianus
    O:CORN SALONINA AVG, diademed and draped bust right, crescent behind.
    R: CONCORDIA AVGG, emperor and empress standing confronted, clasping hands.
    Syrian mint, 258 - 260 A.D
    5.61g
    20mm
    Göbl MIR 1691p (Samosata), SRCV III 10630 (uncertain Syrian mint), RIC V-1 63 (Antioch), RSC IV 31

Heavy for Type!

I enjoy Byzantine coins. But I get easily distracted by Parthians, Medieval, & other areas of coin collecting. I acquired several Byzantine coins this year & the favorite is the one below. I just love the portrait of the Virgin Mary & the Christ portrait is pretty good too.

[​IMG]
    Romanus IV (1068 - 1071 A.D.)
    Æ Follis
    Anonymous Class G
    O: Bust of Christ facing raising hand and holding Book of Gospels, IC XC in fields.
    R:Bust of Virgin Mary facing with both hands upraised.
    5.41g
    25mm
    SB 1867

Ahh, Diadumenian, what can be said about this kid in my ancient collecting…I have succumbed to 3 fake denarii & all 3 were from established dealers. Well, this year the streak of fake denarii ended when I acquired this coin from Civitas Galleries during a usual sell-off of coins & junk silver. I really loved the portrait & after being burned 3 times, I can tell this wasn’t a toad.

[​IMG]
    Diadumenian (218 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O:M OPEL ANT DIADVMENIAN CAES Bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: PRINC IVVENTVTVS Prince standing facing, head r., holding standard and sceptre; two standards to right.
    Rome Mint 218 A.D.
    3.35g
    20mm
    RIC IV 102; RSC III 3b

This year and 2019 I really started going heavy with buying the larger silver world coins, crowns, francs, dollars, pesos, Ecus, and so on. One of the “wants” was a Louis XVI “old head” Ecu. His younger portraits are fairly affordable and easy to find, but finding a nice & affordable “old head” was a bit of a search for ME. This year I was able to get one with my budget & with surfaces I like.

[​IMG]
    Louis XVI (1774-1792 A.D.)
    AR Ecu Livre tournois (6 Livres)
    France, 1st Republic
    O: LOUIS XVI ROI DES FRANÇOIS : Head left. Privy mark (leopard) and date below.
    R: REGNE DE LA LOI. L'AN 4 DE LA LIBERTE, Winged and wreathed Genius (personification of the French People) inscribing table (the French Constitution) on column. Fasces, topped by liberty cap in left field, cock in right field.
    Rouen Mint
    29.4g
    39mm
    Dy# 1718, KM#615.3

I’ve owned several Claudius coins but never a denarius. Well, I acquired what turned out to be a rare denarius but it wasn’t without its flaws. After thinking it over I decided to part with it for a few Andrew Jacksons over what I paid, so some profit. The PayPal money didn’t have much time to settle before I saw this Tetradrachm & bought it. I did get it with plenty of $ leftover from my denarius sale. Who doesn’t want a big silver portrait of Claudius that isn’t from Egypt?

[​IMG]
    Claudius (41 - 54 A.D.)
    AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm
    O: TI CLAVD CAES · AVG, bare head left.
    R: COM ASI across field, distyle temple of Roma and Augustus, enclosing standing facing figures of Claudius, holding scepter, being crowned by Fortuna, holding cornucopia; ROM ET AVG on entablature.
    Ephesus mint. Struck AD 41-42
    10.08g
    28mm
    RIC I 120 (Pergamum); RPC I 2221; RSC 3; BMCRE 228; BN 304-6

Another coin I saw when I got into ancients. I remember seeing it listed on a dealer's website in about the same condition for several hundred dollars. I was a newb & wasn’t about to pay that. Flash forward about 12 years later Ken Dorney lists this in a new listing & was surprised to see how affordable it was. I also had a 20% coupon from him so it was a no-brainer.

[​IMG]
    Macedonia, Roman Protectorate, First Meris, (167 - 148 B.C.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    O: Diademed and draped bust of Artemis right, bow and quiver over shoulder, in the center of a Macedonian shield.
    R: MAKEDONWN PRWTHS; Club; monogram above, two monograms below; all within oak wreath, thunderbolt to left.
    Amphipolis Mint
    16.56g
    30mm
    SNG Copenhagen 1315 // AMNG 176

svessien, Egry, TIF and 46 others like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I don’t bid in auction sites outside of eBay too often but one day I felt like looking at Vauctions and saw this Maximus. It had no bids and on closing day I threw a last-second bid and won it. Even with buyers fees and shipping, it was still a bargain.

[​IMG]
    Maximus (235 - 238 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: Γ IOVΛ OYHR MAZIMOC KAI, Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: Draped bust of Selene right; crescent moon before; L Γ (date) behind. Dated RY 3 of Maximinus I (AD 236/237).
    13.29g
    24mm
    Milne 3226; Berlin 18208491, Athens 3931; Mathies 60. Emmett 3333.3 (R3).

Ex. Pegasi Numismatics - Auction 42, lot 378, May 19, 2020

Published on Wildwinds

TIF, Curtisimo, galba68 and 33 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fantastic coins! My numismatic knowledge is limited, so forgive me for not appreciating the others, but I like the Domitia cistophorus the most, with the Claudius and Diadumenian close behind!

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Thanks for sharing your wonderful year!
    A lifetime JC, great MSC under Rome tet, but that Domitia:woot::jawdrop::snaphappy:

7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Great list @Mat! The cistophorii are my favourites.

8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Sorry for your losses @Mat

I too like the cistophorii the most, close behind is the LouisXVI ecu. Luckily in 1792 he still had his head upon his shoulders (he's been beheaded on january 21st, 1793)

Q

9. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice selection and variety, @Mat
    I like the Romanus IV Æ Follis and the Macedonia Tetradrachm. :)

10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Sorry for the passing of your Mom and Step-Uncle....

You still added some excellent coins to your collection/ like me you collect from all periods of history:)
    John

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

So sorry for your loss, Mat.

So many on your year end list that I like... the Claudius cistophorus with the bold portrait, the Domitia, and the rare Vespasian with the die guide. Excellent stuff!

12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Some great coins in there Mat. Certainly a silver lining to what has been a tough year.

13. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Mat, Please accept my condolences for your lost family members. Hopefully you can distract your grief intermittently with numismatics. You did score some attractive coins this year :happy:. I like the Mexican pillar dollar (America's 1st silver dollar), the Byzantine Class G follis, & the 1692 Hogmouth Thaler. :D

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Domitia and Claudius are my favorites

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW, @Mat ! You could have stopped at your first post, and it would be a wonderful coin year! GREAT JOB!

I deeply regret your Mother's passing, and your recent Uncle's passing. Thinking of you, My Friend.

The Caesar is great! Always liked mint marks! The Ocho Reales (Pillar Dollar) has always been a favorite of mine since I was a kid staring at it in the Redbook. Never got one. You have a dream coin of mine.

I could keep going (yeah the Hefty Ant is cool), but I do not want to overwhelm

Great job! Each one has a special appeal for my collection. :)

16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Great that you found some peace in your collection, very unfortunate for your personal losses in the same year. We are all looking for a better year ahead, God willing it will happen. Thank you for posting your coins, be safe.

17. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great group Mat, an indeed diverse lot but your JC is great and although worn still has a great portrait and good weight at near 4gm.
    Congrats.

18. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

A wonderful -- and wonderfully diverse! -- group, @Mat. The Julius Caesar is pretty amazing, but my personal favorites are the Claudius cistophorus, the Diadumenian denarius, and, yes, the Leopold I Hogmouth! (If he were eligible, he would easily win the "ugliest mug" thread.)

Also, my condolences for the losses you've experienced this year. May next year be better for you, and for everyone.

ominus1 likes this.
  19. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

All cool coins, although, I'm partial to the ancients...Julius, Claudius, Domitia oh my!:woot:

I lost my father this year in Jan. It was quite possibly due to COVID, however; it occurred before the pandemic had really taken ahold; so I'll never know for sure.

Coins have been a positive distraction from the rough year that it's been.

20. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Sorry for the tough year Mat, but some lovely coins! I quite like the Vespasian with the die guide - I think it really adds to the design!

21. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thank you for the condolences.

Draft saved Draft deleted