Master List of eBay Sellers to Avoid

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Aug 23, 2016.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Now I won't claim it can be done in 5 minutes, but it can certainly be done in a few hours. In fact it may have been done to the coin in your avatar. And there is absolutely no way you would ever know.

And yes, there are people on ebay who do exactly that.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Honestly, when I bought the coin it was in a PCGS slab ms details, questionable color. I like the coin so I broke it out of the slab. I bought the coin not the slab.

4. MrOrange1970

MrOrange1970 Active Member

So I recently got a three cent piece from Macvanderstein and am pretty darned certain that the coin I received isn't the same as the photo on Ebay. I took a picture of the reverse as an example. I was considering returning the coin but for 15 bucks (no real money lost) may keep it as a reminder to research a bit more. Plus I can leave neutral feedback.
    Question: Is there any way, this coin could be photographed differently to make the lines in the three pop out? I certainly can't find one!
    EbaySeller.jpg CM160823-12461504.jpg

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

To me, it's clearly not the same coin. Some of the denticles on yours are better, some worse, plus yours doesn't have the rim hit at 1 o'clock. The stock photo has better III lines than yours.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Definitely not the same coin. The sellers photo has a die crack from the third leaf clust to the rim at two o'clock that yours doesn't have and your image shows a planchet lamination diagonally up across the center of the III that isn't on the sellers image

7. rickyc

rickyc Member

I said they were graded that way because that's how they were represented hen I bought them, 50 years ago from a trusted, qualified dealer who went around to coin shows and picked them up for me one at a time. That's the way they are marked on the cardboard. I'm not a qualified grader and I imagine some could have slipped by us but he did teach me what to look for.

One example is the Hawaiian - he said you hardly ever find a strong strike. Don't know whether mine is or isn't.

I intend to have them slabbed if the price diff is enough between the various grades to warrant it.

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Nothing against you, sir, but only to terms used to describe the coins. They may very well be everything you've said; I don't know, but the fact is I've learned from direct experience that more often than not, when such varying, generic and blanket terms are used they, for the most part, are meaningless. The post was meant in the most general of terms.

If you wish to have, or possibly have them slabbed, I urge you to have an experienced eye at least look them over before doing so, and by "experienced" I mean someone with genuine in-hand experience and not just opinions provided on a coin forum by members who may or may not have/be/know what they claim. The best of luck to you.

rickyc likes this.
  9. BooksB4Coins

May I ask if you, at any time in your life, have ever made a mistake? If you're human I can only assume you have, so may I also ask if you would have appreciated the opportunity to correct your mistake, especially if you didn't realize you had made one? If you, like most of us, would want thay opportunity, it's only right for the same hoped-for courtesy to be extended to others.

This seller presently has over 5000 posted listings, and 66 CN three cent pieces available, so it certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility that this is the result of a simple mixup as opposed to some devious plan to screw the innocent collector. If you choose not to notify them of the mistake, and at least give them the chance to make it right, neutral feedback is unwarranted imo.

MKent likes this.
  10. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

It is certainly not the same coin and probably an honest mistake. I don't see a seller like Mv making a living by bait and switch auctions. I have purchased several coins over the years and never had an issue. Send him an e-mail with your photos. I'm sure he'll make it right.

11. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Be careful with them. Their pictures can be very misleading especially with cleaned and toned coins.

12. Marine1

Marine1 Active Member

The only answer to this "Toner" problem is education and if any collector is too lazy to aquire it deserves what they get.
    M1

13. V. Kurt Bellman

Well his helper is right about at least one thing - the striking on Hawaiians is typically not that great. And it's a boring design too. There are some real uglos in the classic commems. At some point in 1936 or so, it looks like design was done in an afternoon.

When this gentleman's coins were assembled, all there was were the generic terms. We only recently got so anal that not even a single whole number is slicing the Bologna thin enough. Now we need stars and pluses and insane stickers, just so some hypercompetitive jabronie can say "my piece is better'n yours". ARRRRGH! I say a pox on the whole darned mess. I liked the hobby better in the 1960's anyway.

I also take a slightly different tack from what @BooksB4Coins does, in the other discussion, too. I used to BE a small business guy in a service business, and I have a low tolerance for sloppiness by small businessmen. I earned that right by having excessively high standards for myself. When I first went into the public sector, I ran my county's election infrastructure, right AFTER the Florida 2000 debacle. Everything we did was under incredible scrutiny and one error was getting people fired. I loved working like that. It's not for everybody.

If a dealer can't absorb an eBay "neutral", he needs psychological help.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    rickyc likes this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

Well his helper is right about at least one thing - the striking on Hawaiians is typically not that great. And it's a boring design too. There are some real uglos in the classic commems. At some point in 1936 or so, it looks like design was done in an afternoon.

I take a slightly different tack from @BooksB4Coins does. I used to BE a small business guy in a service business, and I have a low tolerance for sloppiness by small businessmen. I earned that right by having excessively high standards for myself. When I first went into the public sector, I ran my county's election infrastructure, right AFTER the Florida 2000 debacle. Everything we did was under incredible scrutiny and one error was getting people fired. I loved working like that. It's not for everybody.

rickyc likes this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

I only regret that I can only "like" a post once.

16. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Personally, I LOVE a beautifully toned coin, especially rainbow Morgans, but I'm not paying a crazy premium for them, no thank you. I've heard of people paying 10× value for a "monster toner." Although, if you like it, buy it!

Evan8 and Marine1 like this.
  17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

More than that for some of the best ones. Just check auction results around the various sites and some of them that would have otherwise been a 100 dollar coin or so have been fetching a few thousand

Marine1 likes this.
  18. rickyc

rickyc Member

Ah - the good old hanging chads:)

MKent likes this.
  19. rickyc

rickyc Member

Sounds like a typical Jarhead answer:) Now how do I get started on learning about the TONER problem? Semper Fi, Brother - VMF-232 - Crusader Jockey

Marine1 likes this.
  20. BooksB4Coins

If you're implying I promote sloppy business practices and low personal standards, en garde! Thems are fightin' words... ;)

Seriously though, and believe it or not, my experiences and holding myself to a higher standard are somewhat similar to your own, but we must remember where we are. Unfortunately, many here (although not necessarily in this thread) seem to think it perfectly acceptable to do unto others what they would not like done unto them. Reason: it does a body good.

21. Marine1

Marine1 Active Member

Ha,Thats easy keep reading this board, now you as former Corps Jarheads should do it by the numbers, remember 1, 2,3,5 oh crap I forgot, gettin old.:oldman: but I fondly remember 1962 RF-8 Cherry Point VMCJ 2, Center Mat 45 degrees climbout at Full AB 23:00 Hrs. 1.4 min. to Angels 30 Tower CO almost had a heart attack yelling Turned off comm took some nice pics at the range returned and got grounded 30 days both of us for disturbing the civilians of Havelock :nailbiting: , I think that was a dream or NOT. All I know is the Martin Baker charge was poorly designed in those days and I prayed a lot. Talk more manyana
    Semper Fi Bro
    M1 USMC Retired

rickyc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted