Master List of eBay Sellers to Avoid

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Floating this one out there...

If you've had a bad experience with an eBay seller and can document why they should be avoided, please post here.

(I.e., not "don't buy from this guy 'cause it just doesn't feel right")

Examples include, but not limited to:
    • knowingly selling counterfeits,
    • "juicing" photos,
    • misleading photos and/or descriptions,
    • WAY overpriced, etc.
    Please try to keep your posts relevant and as objective as possible.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Eye4Early

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122096231896

He sold me a Fugio with a "PLANCHETT CRACK" that was, in the opinion of everyone here that voiced their opinions, a problem coin due to cut marks.

I returned it and he relisted it. I emailed him and he said:

"not to be rude- but i didn't ask your opinion. your coin dealer differs in opinion from my coin dealer bottom line. thanks for your concern."

He has a letter from "ROSA AMERICANA LTD" stating that it is a cracked planchet.

Sellers pics:

s-l400.jpg
    s-l400 (1).jpg

Close-ups taken when I had the coin "in hand":

160704_205909.jpg 160704_210025.jpg 160704_210119.jpg

4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

This sort of listing has been proposed in the past.
    Problem is, if I don't like a person I could add him to the list and fabricate a story why.
    It just won't work.

6. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

7. Evan8

I pulled up one of his coins in an NGC slab and on their verification page their picture showed where the toning should be and his matched. Its like he edits them to look like his raw pieces that truly are AT

Paul M. likes this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

This

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

This guy is all the reason anyone should ever need to be able to see that the entire "monster toner" market is a huge scam. This guy is MANUFACTURING this crap, people. It's OBVIOUS.

10. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I've emailed this seller a number of times and asked him if he fries these coins himself or if he buys them fried. Of course, I haven't heard back from him.

It just bugs the @&$? out of me when people do this for the sake of making a buck. I attempted to report him to EBay for not listing these coins as AT, but EBay must have hidden the "report" button.

Stevearino and Evan8 like this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

Unfortunately, there is lots and lots of this kind of stuff in top-end TPGS plastic with straight grades. Who says so? Well, yes, me, but big deal. I'm nobody. But also, Q. David Bowers himself. If that doesn't give you pause about going all ga-ga over toner coins, well, I'm powerless to protect you from your own choices.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    - Albert Einstein

Marine1, Stevearino and Evan8 like this.
  12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Unless I've missed it, the report button is not on eBay's mobile app.

14. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I've bought a PCGS coin from them earlier this year. I was the only bidder and won it cheap. No tracking number provided, no answer to my messages. Even after I filed a claim and asked for a refund they didn't care to get in touch.

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Would anyone be interested in a thread of reliable eBay dealers? This might be exceptionally helpful to new collectors while steering them away from the bad without sullying anyone's business by name.......

Stevearino, Evan8 and RonSanderson like this.
  16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

They could check out the dealers list of CT members here as a starting point!

17. Evan8

Does it look like that when he buys it? Or is it his photos? Or is he messing with them after the fact?

18. Evan8

That's a good idea. I've found a few members from CT on ebay already. But to have a list would be cool. 99% of my coins are from ebay

19. V. Kurt Bellman

Remember, bad apples spoil the whole bunch given time. It doesn't work the other way around. You can't repair a reputation by adding a few legit pieces to a barrel of doctored crap. Sorry, it is what it is.

Santinidollar likes this.
  20. V. Kurt Bellman

Alan,

If only the world worked that way. Example: I am just tickled pink with my purchases from a large eBay seller in Texas. Several people here think he's the devil incarnate because of the way he uses excessive language in his title lines in his listings, which he does. I ignore all that garbage and look at his coins, many of which trade quite high. I've never had a bad experience with him, but he does overdo the hype, and that bugs some people. A debate could very rapidly ensue.

However, I've never seen him use the wording that gets under MY skin, but I know many CTers use themselves - "monster toner". To me, a term like "monster toner" describes a person, not a coin.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Copper56, Santinidollar and C-B-D like this.
  21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

To be honest, I haven't yet seen him relist my coins that he bought from me. So maybe they're in his toner box?

carpman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted