Master Die/Hub Usage (Lincoln Cent 1909-1958)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clutchy, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

Ive been doing a lot more reading, than buying coins lately. It has changed my outlook on coins and numismatics as a whole. But there are certain aspects of production that Im not too clear on, and if anyone willing and able to help here, it would be very much appreciated. Im the type of guy that likes to envision the completed project, before any tools or materials are touched.If any of my facts are questionable, please feel free to correct me....

In 1909, the Lincoln cent was introduced
    In 1916, some parts of the design were sharpened up on the master hub, with the hair being the most noticeable.
    Sometime around 1918, the mint started to chrome plate the master dies?
    Small changes here and there was performed after 1916, but no major changes til 1969.

If Im correct, the Lincoln series started with a master hub (relief), which was cut on a reduction lathe, and a master die (dies?) were made from that master hub. From the master die (dies?), working hubs were made and ultimately working dies were made from them.

Was a completely new master hub created in 1916, or was the original master hub touched up?

How often was the master hub used? The way Im picturing it, is the master hub was used to produce one master die, and then multiple working hubs were produced, which in turn created a ton of working dies. Or was there more than one master die created from the master hub? Thanks

Clutchy

Draft saved Draft deleted