Massive Canadian gold coin worth millions stolen from German museum

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by willieboyd2, Mar 27, 2017.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

BERLIN (AP) — Berlin police say thieves broke into the German capital's Bode Museum and made off with a massive 100-kilogram (221-pound) gold coin worth millions.

Spokesman Stefen Petersen said thieves apparently entered through a window about 3:30 a.m. Monday, broke into a cabinet where the "Big Maple Leaf" coin was kept, and escaped with it before police arrived.

A ladder was found by nearby railway tracks.

The museum says the coin is in the Guinness Book of Records for its purity of 999.99/1000 gold. It has a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II on one side and maple leaves on the other.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/Massive-gold-coin-worth-millions-stolen-from-11029970.php

Never steal anything small.

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

4. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

So do we need to get an alibi from @chrisild :p

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

... and they went right to the local 7-11 and bought a few pints of Ale with it ...
    lol
    :)

Brett_in_Sacto, mlov43 and RAGNAROK like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

In this case it may not be recovered, since something like that would have to be melted down.

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Ha, I was sound asleep, according to myself and an admittedly biased witness. Wait ... didn't @Seattlite86 recently move here? :shifty:

Yes, may have been an insider job. Obviously the people who stole the coin knew about the circumstances - the construction, and the fact that the S-Bahn on the nearby tracks does not operate between 1.30 and 4.00 am. Seems that no other objects were stolen.

Christian

9. RAGNAROK

10. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

221 pounds of gold.

$*%(&#(*%&*!

Seattlite86 and RAGNAROK like this.
  11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

You really have to have a plan for getting that thing out of the country and cutting it up and smelting it quickly - otherwise they will catch you. Things that big are kind of hard to hide.

Paul M. and RAGNAROK like this.
  12. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I wonder if that is troy pounds or avoirdupois.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at the article (I originally read it elsewhere) and it says it is 100kg, which is avoirdupois. Don't they know that PMs are always measured in troy ounces and pounds? They should have said 268 pounds.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The coin has a weight of 100 kilos. By the way, world's biggest gold "coin" (from Australia) weighs one tonne. Guess that would be even harder to shlep out of a museum ...

Christian

14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

so what if the authorities detain some people that have generic home made bricks of
    221 lbs of gold at 999.99/1000 purity.
    is that enough evidence to throw in jail?

maybe they'll mint their own gold coins after throwing a couple ounces of tin and silver into the mix.

RAGNAROK likes this.
  15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Even if they melt it down, they will need to add some other metals to bring the purity down. If someone was to RXF the melted gold and come up with 999.99 fine gold, that's as good as a finger print.

RAGNAROK likes this.
  16. RAGNAROK

Call the Pawn Stars... :bag:

Paul M. likes this.
  17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

"Let me call in an expert" ~ Rick Harrison

18. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

RXF? That seems like an acronym I am not familiar with.

RAGNAROK likes this.
  19. RAGNAROK

...and that's when Rick calls his friend in a German museum... :D

20. RyanTx

RyanTx Member

Article said it was on loan by a private owner. I wonder how much insurance will pay out for it.

RAGNAROK likes this.
  21. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Spot.

The item is not that large, by the way. Gold weighs 1,206 pounds per cubic foot. The coin weighs 100 kilos, or about 221 pounds. It is therefore 221/1206 (0.183) of a cubic foot, or approximately 12 x 12 x 2¼ inches (as a square item, not round). It would easily fit into a backpack, IF you were strong.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    RAGNAROK and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted