Massive Beautiful Ancient Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FTWrath, May 4, 2013.

1. FTWrath

FTWrath Member

Alexander the Great
    i say massive because the face of this thing sticks out about a quarter of an inch and it weights about 2-3 ounces.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yah, I absolutely love the way that some of the ancient busts are almost like half an actual head is sticking-out of the coin!! (there's a great 3-D feelin' about some of the high-relief winners!!)

=> that looks like a very cool coin! (congrats)

:thumb:

4. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

That would be an attempt to copy an Alexander III dekadrachm I guess...

5. FTWrath

FTWrath Member

I can't personally vouch for its authenticity. But it's a buddy of mines who owns a coin shop. It's definitely silver and he has a bunch of papers with it. Came from a NY coin dealer whose business he bought out.
    Definitely real silver though.
    He has a bunch of gold and silver ancients. A few which I bought and sold here and they were authentic. Also multiple graded ones

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It's a nice looking coin, but I am unable to verify it's authenticity either. Do you know where your friend got the coin?

7. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

If Batman thinks it's fake, then it probably is. Sorry.

9. FTWrath

FTWrath Member

Don't be sorry lol. Ill talk I him next time I go in. It came with a massive collection from NY. He's located here in Florida.

I was looking through his boxes in one of the safes and saw it.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While this is obviously a fake lets look at a couple points. A real dekadrachm should weigh in the lower 40's gram area which is a lot less than 2 ounces. It is a very bad sign for any Alexander silver not to have a monogram, symbol or something in the field or under the chair. I have seen blank ones that were ancient but unofficial but the genuine mints marked their products.

Draft saved Draft deleted