Masonic token found in half dollar roll

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by vintagemintage, May 28, 2016.

1. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

I'm looking for any information I can find about this token. It's the same diameter as a Half Dollar, coin alignment, off about 20 degrees . I know it's a token from Chapter no.47 of the Royal Arch Masons chartered in 1875, but I'd like to know where & when it was made and what the devices and lettering on the (reverse?) mean. I'm pretty sure the central device is a keystone to an arch. Also any info on what it was used for, how common it is, and if there are varieties. Any help is much appreciated. Token1.jpg Token2.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    furryfrog02 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Cool find. I've seen these for sale, but I've never gotten a good explanation of what exactly they were for. You'll see them with different lodge names but the same general symbolism as on the reverse of your token. I don't know if there's a standard reference for these, as this post contains basically the sum total of my knowledge about them. :/

4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Dummys-Mallets.jpg mallet_tooth3.jpg I think the things off to the side on the reverse are a chisel and a mallet.

Paul M. and vintagemintage like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What I find funny is that this token is probably worth more than an entire roll of half dollars.

Chris

Santinidollar and Paul M. like this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

My grandfather was a Mason. I always asked him what the G on his ring meant. His response: goat.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

9. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...=245280&attribution_id=414217&record_offset=0

It doesn't provide much information but you could try messaging the Ebay account listed.

I am not an expert on masonic tokens at all but researching this I have found other masonic tokens in completed listings on Ebay for similar towns in population and started searching for information on them.
    This is what Ebay has listed for 1875 masonic tokens and most seem to be similar in appearance as well as many features identifying them. As cool of a find as it is I am guessing it probably isn't worth more than $15.

Draft saved Draft deleted