Martin Van Buren Presidential Dollar Coin Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jim05, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jim05

jim05 New Member

Hello, Everyone

I came across this unique 2008 Martin Van Buren Presidential Dollar coin. I thought these coins were suppose to look gold (plated in copper) however, this is not the case with this coin. Does anyone have any details?

photo1.jpg photo2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

4. jim05

jim05 New Member

Hey, Dsmith

That's what I thought at first but the appearance of this coin is like a quarter.

5. dsmith23

Whats the edge of the coin look like?

6. jim05

jim05 New Member

The edge lettering is consistent with other Presidential Dollar Coins. There aren't any defects besides two small gashes as if something hit it real hard on an angle.

7. lupinus911

lupinus911 Member

Uhh, I want to say silver plated but weigh it against another dollar if you can

8. orenthal

orenthal Junior Member

i found three of these today when i bought two rolls - a washington, adams and harrison.

i wonder what the deal is with these.

i see ebay has several "silver-plated" pres coins. did the mint plate them? they look really cool.

thx

9. dsmith23

As I said in my previous post, I'm willing to bet they're silver plated, look on ebay you will sell them being sold.

10. orenthal

orenthal Junior Member

so probably someone is dipping common coins in something that turns them silver-colored and trying to sell them on ebay for a premium?

thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted