Marshall Islands $5

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by CamaroDMD, Sep 16, 2009.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

OK, here is another of the foreign coins I am sorting through. This is actually among my favorites. I bought this coin because I have an immense interest space exploration. But, I know nothing about it. I have the Krause 20th Century 34th edition...but none of the Marshall Island coins are in it.

So, here is the coin and what I know about it. It is a 1988 Mashall Islands $5 piece with the Space Shuttle Discovery on the obverse. The coin appears to be a nickel clad coin.

Here is what I want to know.

Is there a mint mark associated with this coin that I don't see?
    What is the mintage?
    What is the composition?
    An approximate grade (I believe it to be MS)?
    Value (I'm not expecting much)?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cherylkubucko

cherylkubucko Grandma Froggie

4. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

Krause took the Marshall Islands out of one of the editions as these aren't real coins, but rather non-legitimate value denominated tokens. Go to the Marshall Islands and try to spend them. You might find yourself in jail.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello DMD,
    Do you have photos depicting all your space medals? I think you have seen mine posted here before. If you have photos to post, I'd like to see them.
    Very best regards,
    collect89

6. CamaroDMD

Oh really, I didn't know they weren't legal tender over there...I always figured they were. Yeah, the edition of Krause I have says that they are in the 33rd edition but were removed from the 34th (which I have) and placed in "Unusual World Coins 5th ed."

Does anyone know the mintage of this piece?

I don't have photos of any others...but I don't have many of them. I was thinking about trying to put together a set of coins containing space themes. I know the Russian's had a number of them as well as other countries (including state quarters).

7. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

The Republic of the Marshall Islands is an independent country - sort of. The 1986 Compact of Free Association with the U.S. provides for the circulation of US currency/coin as the sole legal tender of the nation.

I believe these are now listed in Krause's Unusual World Coins, alongside the Hutt River Province, Sealand, and other non-country "countries".

8. CamaroDMD

According to my Krause 34th edition they are.

Does anyone happen to have an older edition of Krause or the Unusual World Coins book that might list the mintage?

9. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

CamaroDMD...whether it is a coin or a token..it is for sure one thing; simply beautiful!!
    Excellent piece of Space History!

RickieB

10. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

You cannot spend them as merchants will not take them. However, you may exchange them at the bank....one per day.

Mintages are 1988 (756K) and 1988-M (451K). They are very common and I've actually purchased cases of them

11. CamaroDMD

Where is the mint mark located on these?

12. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

Under the D in Dollar.

13. CamaroDMD

OK, thank you. It looks like mine is the 1988. Once again...thanks a lot. This has been very helpful!!!

14. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I realize this is a 4+ yr bump, but I found this funny... according to Yahoo! Answers, not only are you allowed to redeem one per day, but you're also charged a $5 fee per coin redeemed. I guess that makes it worthwhile to redeem the $10 (brass) & $50 (one troy ounce of silver) coins, but not so much the $5 (CuNi).

Collect89 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted