Mark Antony denarius to go with Octavian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by alde, Feb 27, 2017.

1. alde

alde Always Learning

A week or so ago I posted my new denarius of Octavian that named Mark Antony as ANTONIVS IMP on the reverse. I found and purchased it's Mark Antony companion naming Octavian on the reverse as CAESAR IMP. As you all can imagine I'm thrilled to have found it. Now I need to save my pennies (lots of pennies) for a Lepidus to have all three of the triumvirate. Here is the dealer photo.
    7CbxWE3cxSp8PA5sy4fKMG9rY2pTka.jpg
    8PegTj4yz2HzYAm7Cw3Mc5yDaB9kj5.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    icerain, Alegandron, Puckles and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wonderful coin, congrats!

I especially like the portrait of Antony. It still amazes me that we get to interact with these little pieces of history.

alde likes this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Sweet. Nice catch.

I saw a Lepidus and Octavian one in vcoins, probably a solid VF, for only around $1,700 USD...so it's quite doable if you save your pennies.

gregarious and alde like this.
  5. alde

alde Always Learning

For me that's lots of pennies but it's a great long term goal. I think I will look for a JC lifetime portrait first though. Of course other coins always come up that I can't live without.

gregarious likes this.
  6. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Congratulations. That's a scarce coin and I'm still looking for mine.

gregarious likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

A nice coin I would love to have. Anthony was suppose to be a real ladies man. I suppose I can see why what with that chin of his.
    Marcus Antonius  2.jpg

icerain, Alegandron, Puckles and 14 others like this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

My only Antony, minted to commemorate his marriage to Octavia, made largely to cement political ties to her brother Octavian:

Antony and Octavia cistophorus.jpg
    Antony and Octavia
    AR cistophorus
    Ephesus, 39 BCE
    25.6 mm, 11.71 gm
    Obv: M ANTONINVS IMP COS DESIG ITER ET TERT, Jugate heads of Marcus Antonius and Octavia to right; he wears ivy wreath.
    Rev: III VIR RPC, Cista mystica surmounted by figure of Bacchus, standing to left, holding cantharus and leaning on thyrsus; on either side, coiled serpent.
    Refs: SNG Cop. 408; SNG von Aulock 6555; Franke KZR 472; RSC 3; Sydenham 1198; RPC 2202; Sear 1513; BMCRR East 135

icerain, Alegandron, Puckles and 13 others like this.
  9. alde

alde Always Learning

Lol, he looks like Jay Leno.

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I knew you'd post your cistophorus--just as you knew I would post mine!

There you have it, folks--the two cistophori Antony minted for the occasion.

alde and Bing like this.
  11. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Remember a few years ago, when HBO had the series "Rome"? During the second season, which covered from the immediate aftermath of the assassination of Julius Caesar to Octavian's triumph for the Battle of Actium, Lepidus was actually shown on-screen... for about two minutes, or 1.5 minutes longer than merited.

Unlike the First Triumvirate, where Crassus, Pompey, and Caesar are all fascinating characters individually, the Second Triumvirate is highly unbalanced. There's Octavian, there's Marc Antony, and... you know, good ol' what's-his-face. In other words, I would take the money that could go towards getting a Lepidus coin and instead get another Marc Antony, or Octavian, or Julius Caesar, or some other important figure.

alde and Roman Collector like this.
  12. Bing

It's the only portriat of MA I own. I would truly love to have one like @alde

Roman Collector likes this.
  13. Bing

That's just another in a long list that I would love to have.

14. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

My 3 coins of Marc Antony

M Ant quina.jpg MA Antiquae.jpg MAntony small.jpg

15. alde

alde Always Learning

Those cistophorus are sure sweet. I will be on the lookout for both. They sure add to the story of the period.

chrsmat71 and Roman Collector like this.
  16. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Maximinus Trax has the Jay Leno chin. To be honest, @Bing 's MA coin has a chin that remind me a bit of Mitch McConnell's chin.

159888264.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

Being filthy rich and owning half the known world would make anyone an instant chick magnet...even if they look like a poorly preserved mummy.

17. Bing

Something I'll likely never know

18. alde

alde Always Learning

You and me both my friend.

gregarious likes this.
  19. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

hahaha! the gods will get you 4 that><

alde likes this.
  20. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

i saw a meme on beauty and the beast simular to this. it's ok to be an ugly beast and get the woman of your dreams if you gotta million dollars and own a castle.

alde likes this.
  21. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Both excellent examples, Alde. I'm especially fond of that Antony portrait. Both are types I still need to find a nice example of as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted