Mark Anthony????

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jimm, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

I researched this 32 BC 31 bc(I tnk) mark a. coin. I didn't have enough evidence to say either fake or real so I came out here 2 the experts I've been on Facebook got many many replys and the verdict was real so let me know some more knowledge and Happy New yearI'll figure this out

Attached Files:

Jims Coins likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

It is not possible to authentic a coin from a photo, although it is often possible to condemn it as a fake. That said, I see no obvious reason to doubt the authenticity of this coin.

ominus1 likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

From the image I would say I see nothing wrong or anything that would make me question it's authenticity.
    Marcus Antonius Leg VIII.jpg

ominus1, rrdenarius and Jims Coins like this.
  5. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

The wear on the coin seems to be what it looks like, that it was genuine and remained in circulation for over a century before being lost or hidden. This kind of denarius, the Legionary type, remained in circulation for over a hundred years as its silver fineness was lower than other early imperial coins and it was worth more as a circulating coin rather than to have been sent to the melting pot for its bullion value.

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Closer to 200 years. Legionary denarii have been found in hoards of Marcus Aurelius!

7. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

It
    It is Antony not "Anthony" I would go with what Bing said.

8. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

It appears authentic, except that there is another one for sale right now, same chunky letters, same flan shape, same dies, exact same wear pattern:

https://www.antiquarius.co.nz/product/mark-antony-denarius-2/

[​IMG]

yours:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Worn-out legionary denarii without the legion number visible are extremely common and in low demand - I have two that I got for about $15-20 each.

Once you get the legionary number and obverse legend on the coin, the value goes up significantly - enough for someone to make dies, strike coins, and then artificially wear them out. It looks like these were struck from the same dies on identical flans, worn out in the same way (notice how the VIII is cut off) and then perhaps put in a bag and shaken to give them different bag marks.

I'm not 100% sure either are fake, but seeing them side by side, I wouldn't want either in my collection.

AngelDeath and Bing like this.
  9. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Thanks all

10. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

The first coin in this thread is a forgery.

Barry Murphy

ominus1 likes this.
  11. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Help me out berry

12. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

I’ve seen quite if few identical Leg viii’s. They are casts.

Barry Murphy

ominus1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted