Marine commemorative mint error?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by russlle, Nov 11, 2015.

1. russlle

russlle New Member

I have these coins that I can't seem to find anywhere online. I can find the silver ones but these are gold, proof, and unopened. They are the united states marine corps coins honor and smeper fidells. However I think semper fidells mite have sone mint errors. Any info would be appreciated. Ty. Close ups are a bit crummy sorry will try and take better ones later.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

What does the certificate of origin say? The only U.S. Marine commem I can find was made of Silver.

Was this made by a private mint?

4. russlle

russlle New Member

Certificate of authenticity
    United states marine corps

American
    Mint
    (That's the cover)

Technical specifications
    Limitation: 9999 complete collections
    Material: Cu, layered in 24k gold
    Weight: 32 grams
    Issue year: 2012
    Diameter: 40 mm
    Quality: proof
    Obverse. Semper fidelis
    Always faithful
    Reverse: United states
    Marine corps
    The next page has the meaning of semper fidelis and the back has the us mint guarantee.

5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Privately minted medals, not coins. American mint is not the US mint. I don't know that there would be any added value to an error on a medal like this. Hard to say what it is worth, probably a couple dollars if someone is interested in them because of the Marine connection.

6. russlle

russlle New Member

Thank you very much I have only been doing this coin collecting thing for like 2 weeks now... there is so much information to retain. But again thank you for your help and quick replies.

7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@russlle , welcome to CT.

There is a lot of numismatic knowledge here: U.S., World and Ancients as well as general hobby knowledge.

Do you have any coin books? What do you think you want to collect?

8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Also russlle, they are copper with a thin layer of gold on them. That is why you don't see a finess percentage mentioned on the medal anywhere. They is not enough gold to recover even for scrap. It's similar to gold leaf on costume jewelry.

9. russlle

russlle New Member

No books yet... and I am not sure... I started a base collection for all the small cents so far (pennies to quarters). my penny collection goes from 1958-2015 uninterrupted. I am sure for those who have been doing a while that's no big thing but I am proud of it. The worthless pride of my collection is the 1943 steel penny. Started working on my state quarters... only thing I have found I really care about the whole hobby is my base collections I guess... I just want them to keep growing. But I do think I found a cheerio dollar in my sisters coins she has been saving. Sending it in on payday for grade and cert.

onecenter likes this.
  10. onecenter

onecenter Member

Sounds like you are on to a fun start.

11. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Nothing wrong with 1943 steel cents, maybe not much monetary value but an interesting piece of history.

Draft saved Draft deleted