Maria Theresia Gold Coin, copy or original (not the Readers Digest copy)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kevin McGonigal, Nov 19, 2014.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I hope this is the right forum to write this in. I am aware of the Readers Digest fake Austrian ducats of a few years back. This coin is not one of those. I seems to be of good coin gold. It is the about the same size and weight of the type three US gold dollar, 1.5 grams. The reverse is identical to the Austrian ducats of the mid 18th century (not the "In te, Domine, reverse...") but the abbreviated list of her titles. The obverse features Maria Theresia, Imperatrix Rom but what throws me off is that the bust faces LEFT and every other coin of hers, and indeed just about Austrian coins, are of bust right. Her image looks very much like something from a mid 19th Century British coin of Victoria. From my description any guesses on what I have?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

no guesses, need picture.

5. kevin McGonigal

Thank you very much. I have seen that site which deals mostly with her Thalers but under the sub category of medals it does picture a coin/medal quite similar to mine. However that coin/ metal is listed as having a "grooved edge" mine is smooth, no reeding or lettering. Its gold content is listed as nine carat which may be similar to mine. I cannot tell from its appearance but with a few minor nicks on the flan it does not appear to be gold plated. It seems more like worn coin gold and there is some wear on it. Like my coin, the coin/medal shown is a bust left . Its weight is listed as 3.65 grams which is heavier than mine at 1.5 grams. The site says that its origin is unknown. But again, this is the only coin I have seen with her image as bust left. The lettering is quite sharp for a coin this size so I don't think it is a "barbarous" cast or strike. Thanks again and if you dig up something else please let me know and I apologize for not posting a photo. I can field strip an '03 Springfield but computer technology is beyond me. Oh, I forgot. The one pictured has no date. Mine has the date 17 62 the numbers being split by part of the reverse image.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

We would love to comment, but without a picture it would be meaningless. Even a cell phone pic or a scanner image is better than nothing.

7. kevin McGonigal

Thanks, my problem is that I have no idea of how to get a picture from my camera to this site, but again for what it is worth it is almost identical, except for weight and date, to the medal/coin pictured that poster Tom B provided in the link he put up. If you can look at that one, you are looking at mine except for the two slight differences.

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

And as the French say Vive la difference (sp). That is why I suggested a scanner which most printers have. When you scan it the image is saved as a file you can easily post.

9. kevin McGonigal

OK, I can scan the coin and I think I can get my wife to get the file on here. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. kevin McGonigal

[QUOTis="kevin McGonigal, post: 2023398, member: 72790"]OK, I can scan the coin and I think I can get my wife to get the file on here. Thanks for the suggestion.[/QUOTE]
    Here is the photo.

Attached Files:

11. kevin McGonigal

Here is the photo.[/QUOTE]
    Whew. That was not easy. The reverse is identical to every other Austrian ducat of Maria Theresia of that period and the date is 1760 and weight 1.5 grams. It is just a bit smaller in diameter than the accompanying dime. Again, what is unusual about this is the bust facing left. The only other one I have seen like that is the one pictured in the link Tom B put up and on that site it is under "Medals".

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I've looked in every book I have and there is nothing that even closely resembles this. You say the weight is 1.5gm, standard for ducats was 3.5gm. Based on your picture I'd say the diameter is 16 or 17mm, standard for ducats was 21mm.

Now that said they did mint coins as small as 1/8 ducat, and as large as 10 ducats, but the weight was always proportional to the standard ducat and the diameter varied. But 1.5 is no even fraction of 3.5, so it couldn't possibly supposed to be a 1/8, 1/4, or 1/2 ducat. And no MT ducat of any size had a left facing bust. So whatever it is, it is not any fractional ducat.

It would be unlikely for a medal to be struck in such a small size, but it is possible it could be a jeton of some kind I suppose. It may even be a fantasy piece or an out and out counterfeit. I cannot say what it "is", I can only say what it "is not".

13. kevin McGonigal

Thanks. I wonder if that weight, similar to that of the US gold dollar has any significance. The image of the empress and her bust left is identical to the image on the link above provided by Tom B. The reverse is the same as that except that one has no date and mine has the date 1760. It really intrigues me that the link states that its origin is unknown. Somebody did a good job on the minting process as the designs on my specimen are extraordinarily sharp. I an going to try researching on a possible gold thaler as this coin's weight would make it the equivalent of silver thaler in specie. Thanks again for responding.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There were never any MT gold thalers struck. Nor any others that I ever heard of.

Draft saved Draft deleted