Margins on High End Coins ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Argenteus Fossil, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Argenteus Fossil

Argenteus Fossil Active Member

What is a reasonable margin to expect of a dealer to make when purchasing "higher end" but still working class coins? For example: If Joe Bob is looking to spend $3,000-10,000 on a coin, how much profit would be considered fair for the dealer to make? If Joe Bob sells the same coin back to the dealer or another dealer, how much would he expect to receive? If he pays $5,000 to Dealer A, is it fair for Dealer A to profit $3,000 or closer to only $500? If Joe Bob tries to sell the coin to Dealer B, would Dealer B only offer $2,000 or closer to $4,500?

This is assuming all players are honest and ethical. What is common practice?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would say it will always depend on the coin. A $5000 coin with a problem, or an esoteric issue hard to find a buyer for will deserve a higher haircut than a very much desired coin the dealer has 5 collectors willing to buy it tomorrow. Made up examples might be a decent flowing hair dollar with a major rim bruise or scratch versus a AG 1901s quarter, (please do not beat me up on prices, I am just guessing both are worth around $5k today, but I haven't collected US for years). One is a nice coin but the problem will llimit the market, while the other is just a lower grade coin, but HIGHLY sought by many collectors. In that case I would expect an offer on the "problem" coin to be further back from retail than the problem free, sought example.

No real rule of thumb, but when the numbers get bigger the dealers can afford to take lower percentage, so I think your $500 is a good figure for a "normal" $5000 coin, not $2000. If you get an offer 40% back on a $5000 coin, I would shop around personally, or put it in a high quality auction.

4. Argenteus Fossil

Thanks for your feedback. I should of thought about the marketability because of issues affecting mark-up / mark-downs. I am flying to attend a coin show within the next month or so; I'm considering purchasing a higher priced coin or two ($1500-3000) and wanting to move in that direction. I feel more reward having to save and pursue that "it" coin rather than having truckloads of common date, circulated Morgans flowing into my home.

I guess I also do not like the disparity between wholesale prices and retail prices. I think having 1 price with a mark-up/down makes more sense. How can you "wholesale" something that is 1 of a kind? I've operated a clothing & accessories business before, that is wholesale to retail. I feel that if a dealer is willing to "wholesale" it to another dealer at a price, I should be able to purchase it at that same price. What difference does it make to the selling dealer?

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Interesting question that touches on the everlasting "How do I make money on coins" question.

6. Argenteus Fossil

I don't believe in purchasing things solely because I want to make money on it. I do not think that is a sustainable business model. Not to sound cliché but I honestly just purchase coins that I like. That being said, I want the transaction to be fair for all parties.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is no such thing. The dealer has the right to make as much, or as little, as he wants. And what his profit margin is, is nobody else's business.

8. Kentucky

I would not turn down making money either. I recently bought a 50 rupee coin from a flea market dealer for $13 and in talking to him, he looked it up in Krause (I know you can't trust the prices in Krause) and it listed for $100. However he didn't want the coin and I did. Should I have offered him more money?

9. Argenteus Fossil

That doesn't answer the question at all. I feel this response is a carry-over from your post quoting my response on the previous thread. I am pro-capitalist. I am not a "spread the wealth" liberal. I believe you misinterpreted my original quote and are henceforth trying to debate me politically.

I am not saying what should he be capped at making profit-wise. I'm saying if he were to be fair, reasonable and inline with what the other dealers are doing, what should be expected?

10. Kentucky

Expect the unexpected : - )

Amanda Varner likes this.
  11. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I've bought and sold some $1,000 dollar coins. If I could make a quick couple hundred doing it, I would go ahead and pull the trigger.

12. Argenteus Fossil

That is off-topic from what I am asking in my thread. That is a one-time opportunity and a situational-ethics related question.

I did chuckle at your "expect the unexpected" comment.

13. Argenteus Fossil

So $200 on $1000 is fair and reasonable to you? I personally see nothing wrong with that. I would do the same thing every time.

I guess my real underlying question here is why do dealers have prices to other dealers that differ from what they will charge "normal" customers? As a customer I have a hard time paying retail for something that the dealer has "wholesaled" back and forth between other dealers all day. I want the same prices the other guys in the room are getting. I don't care if you call me a customer, a "dealer" or the president of Sudan.

14. Kentucky

Thanks for not being offended. Actually you ask what is expected and what is fair. That is different for each situation. With American standard type coins, perhaps it is a little more standardized and I too would be interested to see responses.

15. medoraman

The dealer may ATTEMPT to make as much or little as he wants, but the question was from the seller's side Doug. He was asking what is a fair offer for a certain type of coin. A dealer of course is free to only offer him $2000 for a coin whose going price at regular venues, (like coin shows and major auctions), is $5000 but the seller should not sell at that price. If its a "normal" coin such an offer is below what I would conside fair. Therefor, I was saying to not accept such an offer, shop it around, and maybe list in an auction instead of getting abused like that. I own a nice F 1803 Bust dollar. Let's say the book is $2000, (I have no idea). I agree a dealer is free to offer me $800 for it if he wishes, but I believe I would be dumb to accept that offer.

Endeavor, rzage and Kentucky like this.
  16. Argenteus Fossil

Exactly.

I'm also asking from the buyer's point of view. I've been at a show where two dealers at a booth were wholesaling each other coins. I do not interrupt their sale. I come back to both dealers later and they are asking prices well above what I heard them offering to sell to each other at. The dealers did not appear to have a relationship other than finding each other at the show.

17. GDJMSP

No, it's not a carryover at all. The point is just what I said, there is no such thing as a "reasonable" profit. The reason there is no such thing is because you don't know what he paid or what the situation was when he bought it. Nor do you know what level of knowledge he may or may not have.

For example, if somebody comes to me and offers me a coin for $300 and I buy it. And then I turn around and sell it for $3000, or even $6000 - is that an unreasonable amount of profit ? And if so, why ?

The reason I say it is not is that I may know something that few others do. I may see that the coin is a rare example and know full well what it is worth at first sight. So when somebody asks me if I will give them $300 for it, I'm going to say yes and buy it.

I am not required by ethics, morality, the law, or anything else to pay you or anyone more than what they are asking for a given coin. All that matters is that I pay what they ask. Their lack of knowledge and my having the knowledge does not make their ignorance my fault. Nor does it make me responsible for their actions.

People are responsible for their actions, and nobody else. So if I have spent my entire life studying and learning so that I might be able to know a coin when I see it, how does that make me responsible for paying somebody more than what they are asking for that coin ? And that's my point, it doesn't.

Suppose the same situation happened and I paid $300 for the coin. Then I turned around and sold it for $350. Am I a bad guy for doing that ? No of course and I can't think of anybody who think I was. But if the guy I sold it to, then sold it for $6000, I'll bet people would stand in line to call him a lowlife for not speaking up and paying more.

That's my point, he isn't. Not in any way shape or form.

When a doctor or a lawyer charges $500 and hour, is he a low life or unethical person for doing that ? No. Why not ? Because he spent a lot of years studying and learning how to de what he does and get paid that much.

Well, a coin dealer does the exact same thing. So for him to utilize his knowledge and then benefit from it is not wrong or unethical either.

Now by the same token if the proverbial little old lady walked into the mans shop and and said, hey, my husband just passed away and left me all these coins. I know nothing about them, can you help me ? Then yes, the dealer would have an ethical and moral obligation to at least be honest with her and pay her a fair price.

And again, that's the point, there is no such thing as a "reasonable profit" because every situation is different.

Mr. Flute, geekpryde and josh's coins like this.
  18. medoraman

Well, that will be harder. You don't know what relationship these dealers have, what agreements, etc. Trying to say you should be able to buy at the same wholesale they buy and sell at will be difficult at best. You are a retail customer, they will not offer you in all likelihood the wholesale price. Dealers have a lot of expenses going to shows, and deserve a fair profit. I am not denying that in the least. If they sold everything to retail customers at wholesale prices, why would they incur the expenses of a show?

19. GDJMSP

And they have every right to do so. There is a difference between wholesale and retail no matter what you are talking about. Jewelry for example often has a 400% markup - is that reasonable ? Same thing for furniture, about 300%. Same thing for some foodstuffs.

You as the seller have the right to make as much or as little as you want. There is no such thing as reasonable.

edit - Because - nobody else has the right to decide what is reasonable and what is not.

geekpryde likes this.
  20. risk_reward

risk_reward Active Member

So, the moral of the story is that it is not OK to make large profits off little, old widows, but it is OK to make large profits off of big, young, married men?

Seems a bit patronizing to little, old widows.

Endeavor and Argenteus Fossil like this.
  21. Argenteus Fossil

I'm not questioning the amount of profit. You can buy a coin for 25 cents and sell it for $10K and be fine. It happens. I'm saying if you buy a coin and offer it to other dealers for $5K, why do I have to pay $10K? That doesn't make sense. If it is worth x, it is worth x. It is not "worth" x to dealers but y to retail customers. If you were going to sell 100 Morgan dollars to somebody, I imagine that the price per Morgan would be lower than if Jimmy from the block were trying to buy 1 Morgan. But if you have a rare-date Morgan, why is there a disparity of price between retail customers and dealers?

Draft saved Draft deleted