Mardi Gras doubloons volume 2

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Circus, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Circus

4. Circus

5. Circus

6. Circus

7. Circus

8. Circus

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Here’s my stash from this year before I went to the swaps. I’m still missing four woods and a white chalice from King Arthur. Went to 44 parades this year, it was a wild one C1132BD0-3BE4-41C4-8C2D-ECEE0B731BD6.jpeg D0ACE82B-5908-4E1B-ADC2-42E397A0FD58.jpeg 52CAA4AA-41B9-4CA7-BB74-8F907A485B7D.jpeg

kaparthy, Circus and CoinCorgi like this.
  10. Circus

11. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I also have some as examples of exonumia. They are wonderful celebrations of much that is American culture: film, books, holidays, heroes, myths of the ancients and myths of the moderns...

Circus likes this.
  12. kaparthy

As Circus said, they are worth whatever someone else wants to pay for them. You mean that you did not realize that they have historical context, just like "real" coins.

Classics of Literature 1-14.jpg Classics of Literature-2.jpg
    Circus or someone can tell you more, but this is 50 or 75 years of continuous history. The parade has a theme every year. The "krewes" (crews) make their floats every year to celebrate the theme. These doubloons are part of that. Since I am a writer, I was happy to find these. I buy them, as Circus suggests, in bulk, and sort for the ones I want for myself. I give the others away to people.

Circus likes this.
  13. kaparthy

Some of mine that are "generic" to myself. (I have a bunch of Atlas. My own patron god is Mercury, so I have those, and also Hermes and Thoth.)

first four.png Second three.png Two Beautiful Pegasus.png

Circus likes this.
  14. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

50 years ago, my aunt was part of the Southern Rebels Drum & Bugle Corps in New Orleans.

I managed to find a doubloon of the group and sent it for her birthday. Needless to say, she was overjoyed :)

drum.jpg
    drum2.jpg

Circus likes this.
  15. kaparthy

BTW: I would have to dig, but I am pretty sure that I kept some that were also good-fors. That makes those money objects, not just vanities.

16. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

There are quite a few of the good fors. One of the most popular is a soap token. There are fast food and sundry others as well.

Some of my favorite series are the beer "medals" and those made for the military recruitment.

Some of the Krewes have remarkable designs.

17. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

I dislike at when this happens in the city . Turns the city upside down and the crazies come from around the world to get drunk in public ( they do that anyway on bourbon street any way , no womder it smells like a outdoor pot-of-gold ) .
    From my understanding each parade has their own set of issued doubloon(s) ( issued in the surrounding parishes and/or cities in the area representing their group or parade route ) . Some are more unique than other(s) . They have varies type(s) ; wood , plastic, aluminum , bronze , silver , and heard of gold one(s) . I think the silver n gold ones are limited or given out on ball(s) they have or requested thru the mail in limited number(s) ( unless you know some one ) .
    I enjoy seeing the other one(s) and yet to get one of my favorite(s) ; morgus , the magnificent . . . .
    He was a trip in seeing him in pre cast of odd ball sci fi movie(s) on the weekend(s) . Think his came out in 68' . I have been known to be wrong w date(s) . . .

18. Circus

19. Circus

20. Circus

21. Circus

Draft saved Draft deleted