Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient times, Oct 11, 2019.

1. ancient times

ancient times Legatus Legionis

Another coin I like; Agrippa, Æ As. Agrippa. Struck under Caligula, 37-41 AD. M AGRIPPA L F COS III, head left wearing rostral crown / S-C, Neptune standing facing, head left, naked except for cloak draped behind him & over both arms, holding small dolphin in right hand & vertical trident in left. Cohen 3. RIC 58
    a1.jpg a3 (2).jpg a4 (2).jpg
    Thanks for looking

ominus1, Finn235, Deacon Ray and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice As, @ancient times ! You need to free that Ancient from the modern plastic tomb.

I don't get to parade my As too much:

RI Agrippa AE As 28mm 11g Neptune-S-C Left.jpg
    RI Agrippa AE As 28mm 11g Neptune-S-C Left

ominus1, Finn235, octavius and 5 others like this.
  4. ancient times

ancient times Legatus Legionis

I like my coins in tombs, to me it is easy to store and keep track of, especially the ones that has been graded, Thanks

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have freed many of my coins from their plastic tombs. I like to hold them in my hands. Plus what does that modern grade mean anyway?

Agrippa 2.jpg
    AGRIPPA
    AE As
    OBVERSE: M AGRIPPA L F COSIII - Head left, wearing rostral crown
    REVERSE: No legend - Neptune standing left, holding dolphin and trident; S C across fields
    Rome 37-41 AD
    11.0g, 28mm
    RIC58, BMC 161, BN77, C3

cmezner, ominus1, Finn235 and 4 others like this.
  6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

How can you tell, he's

Oh, wait,...never mind! :D

But then you can't fondle them. :smuggrin: Just save the slab shards in a zip lock bag...oh, then you would need to add a room to the house just to hold them all...I get it. :p:joyful:

Plumbata and Alegandron like this.
  7. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Agrippa
    Coin: Bronze As
    M AGRIPPA L F COS III - Head left wearing rostral crown
    S-C - Neptune standing facing, head left, naked except for cloak draped behind him & over both arms, holding small dolphin in right hand & vertical trident in left.
    Mint: Rome
    Wt./Size/Axis: 10.58g / 28mm / -
    Reference RIC58

ominus1, Finn235, octavius and 3 others like this.
  8. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    AGRIPPA AS, TITUS RESTORATION ISSUE, 80-81 AD
    (27mm, 10.00 gm)
    BMCRE Volume II, Rome, Titus No. 281 (Pl.54.9.)
    Obverse depiction: Agrippa, radiate head facing left wearing rostral crown
    Reverse depiction: Neptune standing left holding small dolphin and trident

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    cmezner, ominus1, Finn235 and 4 others like this.
  9. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

How much was it, out of Curiosity?nevermind - has tooling

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice one, @ancient times ! It'll be nicer when you crack it out of that slab.

I'll add my humble Neptune standing example:

Agrippa Neptune as.jpg
    Agrippa, 18-12 BC.
    Roman Æ as, 10.35 g, 27.3 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, under Caligula, AD 37-41.
    Obv: M AGRIPPA L F COS III, head left, wearing rostral crown.
    Rev: S - C, Neptune standing left, holding small dolphin and trident.
    Refs: RIC 58 (Caligula); BMCRE 161 (Tiberius); RCV 1812; Cohen 3 (Agrippa); CBN 77.

11. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Copper Coin (AE as) minted during the reign of AUGUSTUS for his friend AGRIPPA in 38 A.D. Obv. M.AGRIPPA.L.F.COS.III.: Bare hd. left, wearing rostral crown. Rev. S.C Neptune stg l., wearing clock, holding trident and small dolphin.

Posthumous issue under Caligula. Sears #556. RICI #58 pg.112. DVM #4 pg.74. RCS #1812.

AASL-355 OBVF.jpg AASL-355 REVF.jpg

ominus1, Finn235, Bing and 1 other person like this.
  12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I would free it too, you can't hold it, you can't fondle it, you can't picture it...

[​IMG]
    Agrippa, As - Posthumous issue of Caligula, in honour of his grandfather (died 12 BC)
    Rome mint, ca AD 37/41
    M AGRIPPA L F COS III, head of Agrippa left with rostral crown
    Neptun standing left, holding trident and dolphin. Large S C in fields
    10.9 gr
    Ref : RCV #1812, Cohen #3

Q

cmezner, ominus1, Valentinian and 4 others like this.
  13. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I picked up this one a couple weeks ago

upload_2019-10-12_17-14-45.jpeg

upload_2019-10-12_17-15-7.jpeg

14. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

:)
    Would love to see some pictures of this coin without the plastic :)

This is my Agrippa.

586C01DF-8A41-4D8A-8C1D-D7127BEBD11B.jpeg

ominus1, Bing and Finn235 like this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I really don't care if people like slabs and keep their collection that way but someone needs to do a post instructing them on how to take the best possible photos of slabbed coins. There is no way that we can see this coin well enough to appreciate it or even have an opinion on whether the coin is genuine or not given the provided images. I am not the one to provide this training. I own one coin in a slab and it is a different brand and may not be the same. I would have cracked it out but for the fact that it is labelled for the wrong emperor and worth more as a curiosity than the coin would be raw.

Who among you slab fans can show some reasonable photos and give tips on what ancient_times and those of the same opinion could do to show us his next coin?

16. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I've often wondered if the relative survival rate of these Agrippa asses compared to the rest of Caligula's coinage is indirect evidence of the purported destruction of Caligula's coins after his death; they seem to be more numerous than even Caligula's Vesta asses.

Here is my modest example

Agrippa ae as neptune.jpg

This is the only possible lifetime issue of his that I have, although even that is doubtful as the type was apparently made long after 13 BC
    Augustus Agrippa Nemausus gaul croc.jpg

Are there any issues that can be attributed as lifetime with 100% certainty?

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The earliest of the croc coins show Augustus with a bare head rather than laureate. The croc on these is skinnier, long legged and has larger teeth pointing up. I don't say anything is certain but these strike me as the best bet if 'lifetime' is important.
    pb0025fd3041.jpg

18. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

Nice coin, but why keep it in the plasticine tomb when it's clearly tooled and the slab proudly states that unfortunate fact? Any service which would ascribe a grade to a tooled coin isn't worth the salt (petrochems) it took to make the slab so why keep it on?

I don't want to pile-on in a negative manner but ancients are living artifacts which NEED to be handled in order to be fully appreciated. I'll be dead somewhere between now at 32 and 92 given family history and don't understand why anyone would want to separate themselves from the full appreciation of an object of their desire that one owns already when they could unexpectedly pass beyond the veil before ever feeling and understanding it. It's like using "protection" when you're already married and possess even a modicum of self-control!

Do what you prefer and ignore my opinions if it makes you TRULY happy, but if you ever wonder what it's like to caress a fine As then I recommend cracking it open and copping a feel. We can't take the coins with us, but we certainly can take our experiences!

19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..ah, nice one...MA coins are a must for any early Roman empire collection...:)..(and for future reference, here's a good way to take pics of slabbed coins :)) marc aggripa ae as 003.JPG marc aggripa ae as 005.JPG greek hemidrachm parion c.480 bc siglos cato quinarius 009.JPG greek hemidrachm parion c.480 bc siglos cato quinarius 008.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted