Marcus Aurelius with Virtus reverse

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by expat, Oct 5, 2023.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Received this yesterday. Bought it for two reasons, I didn´t have a Marcus Aurelius in my collection, and it has a reverse I had never seen before.
    Please post your versions or anything relevant.
    Marcus Aurelius, as Caesar. AE As. 151-152 AD. Struck under Antoninus Pius.

Obv: AVRELIVS CAESAR ANTONINI AVG PII FIL, bare head right.
    Rev: TR POT VI COS II. VIR-TVS and S-C across fields. Virtus standing
    left, foot on helmet, holding spear and parazonium (A parazonium is a long triangular dagger, wide at the hilt end and coming to a point. In Roman mythology, it is frequently carried by Virtus, particularly in early representations. It is also sometimes carried by Mars, Roma, or the emperor, giving them the aura of courage).

RIC 1307; Cohen 1013.13,0 g - 26,5 mm
    7bYJ78Bpec5Xt6QsG6g9Em4TqK42M3 - Copy - Copy.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

That's a great looking coin! Lovely patina.

That parazonium must've gotten heavy, because by the 240s Philip's Virtus had to take a seat!

Philip I Antoninianus VIRTVS.jpg

I think the Virtus standing on helmet holding spear & parazonium iconography must've inspired the Severan Provincial coinage showing Caracalla and Elagabalus in similar pose (maybe Septimius had them too). Here, Elagabalus (from Nicopolis) has his foot on a captive & holds a globe instead of helmet & parazonium:

Elagabalus Nicopolis RPC VI 1197.png

Here's an interesting variation on that iconography -- it's Roma, not Virtus, and she's holding a cornucopia instead of the parazonium:

Hadrian AE As Roma Cornucopia.png

Johndakerftw, Bing and expat like this.
  4. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Duplicate comment, weird

Draft saved Draft deleted