Marcus Aurelius Sestertius attribution

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JulesUK, Apr 29, 2020.

1. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

So one of the coins I`ve been waiting for during lockdown has arrived today and it has immediately shot up to the number one spot for my favourite coin (so far).
    However, I am having slight trouble nailing the exact attribution as the reverse has no obvious or worn S C in any fields. Can anyone assist please? Could the S C just be worn away?
    This is the nearest I have so far but all examples with S C in the rev fields:-
    http://numismatics.org/ocre/results?q=fulltext%3AM+ANTONINVS+AVG+TR+P+XXVI+AND+deity_facet%3A%22Victory%22+AND+denomination_facet%3A%22Sestertius%22

48-Marcus Aurelius VIC GER Combo.jpg

MARCUS AURELIUS 23.10g 38mm
    OB: M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVI: Bust of Marcus Aurelius, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right.
    REV: IMP VI COS III: Victory, winged, naked to waist, standing right, placing with left hand on palm-tree a shield inscribed, VIC GER

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

it's a reproduction copying a denarius (RIC 257)

dlhill132, dougsmit and JulesUK like this.
  4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

That is too bad @JulesUK .. it has happened to me. Hopefully the seller with provide a refund.

JulesUK likes this.
  5. JulesUK

Oh no! Even with the authentic looking crud? I will email the seller and let them know. *Sigh*

6. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is a genuine sestertius of the type:

Marcus3sestVICGER9464.jpg
    31 mm.
    IMP VI COS III

I'm sure all of you can see the difference in style.

7. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

here's the repro without the added dirt

MarcAurel_reproduction.jpg

Marsyas Mike and JulesUK like this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I learned long ago never to hang your hat on "crud' as an authenticator. Many different sellers can apply "crud" effectively. Honestly, look at a lot of those coins with "desert patina". Notice something? Most are not very good grades under the "sand", but the artificial patina makes them look a lot nicer than they would look without it. Even if you like the look of a certain patina, look UNDER it to see what condition the coin is really in.

dougsmit and JulesUK like this.
  9. JulesUK

Good point, without the crud i would have been instantly suspicious.....too good to be true.
    I feel so pee'd off at being suckered like this. Hard lesson.
    Anyway, the seller has not responded so I am despondent.
    Time for a glass of wine.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Dude, we have all been stuck with duds. If you get upset with this, you will have a rough time in this hobby. Do the best you can, hold sellers accountable when you can, notice that you might have to pay more for good sellers, but these problems mostly go away with them, and still have fun.

Way more positives with this hobby than negatives. Chin up, stiff upper lip, you will get it sorted, and whatever other cool phrases you guys have on the other side of the pond. :)

Clavdivs and JulesUK like this.
  11. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the bad news. Convincing crud has nipped me a couple times too. These situations can be very educational, so don't despair!

Here's a worn, but I think authentic denarius of a similar type, but with VIC PAR rather than VIC GER (note the lack of SC on the reverse):

Marcus Aurelius - Den VIC PART Jul 2019 (0).jpg

Marcus Aurelius Denarius
    (166 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

M ANTO[NINVS AVG] ARM PARTH MAX, laureate head right / TR P XX [IMP IIII C]OS III, Victory standing front holding palm and fixing to palm tree shield inscribed VIC PAR.
    RIC 163; BMCRE 406.
    (2.82 grams / 18 mm)

12. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

There are fakesellers lists, one at Forum
    https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=18502.0
    and another here:
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/fakesellers.html

Don't buy from eBay without checking the lists first.

I encourage you all to join the
    CoinForgeryDiscussionList
    https://groups.io/g/CFDL/messages
    which is for ancient coins only. You don't have contribute; you can just lurk and learn.

Here are some important thoughts about buying on eBay:
    http://augustuscoins.com/pages/edit/coins/ed/numis/auction.html

Don't buy from eBay if you have not thought about the ideas on that page.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    DonnaML likes this.
  13. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Don't let this ruin the hobby for you .. don't feel embarrassed - It is just something to learn from. This has happened to me twice - the good people here helped point out the issues. Luckily I was able to get my money back on both occasions.

Still feels like crap though - just enjoy the wine.. tomorrow is a new day.

I do not own this type - but I will show my worn sestertius of Marcus Aurelius:

MarcusAureliusMERGE.jpg

14. JulesUK

Yes, I have three lists on the go, as well as CFDL, the seller wasnt on any. I always check.
    Thanks for the kind thoughts all.....one to chalk up to experience and move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted