Marcus Aurelius close up studies

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Macromius, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Macromius

Macromius Well-Known Member

Took some macro studies of 4 of my Marcus Aurelius coins this morning and thought I would share. My primary interest is in portraits. The first one is nicely detailed. The other 3 are worn but if a worn coin has an interesting profile I'll still go for it. Click for big size. Thanks for looking!

IMGP8799.jpg
    IMGP8802.jpg
    IMGP8825.jpg
    IMGP8830.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Lovely coins!

Macromius likes this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Those are very nice portraits, Macromius. Marcus Aurelius portraits vary widely in terms of artistic quality and yours are top o' the line. My few MA bronzes are pretty awful, but here are a couple of worn, but I think attractive, young portraits of Aurelius in silver, one beardless:

Marcus Aurelius Young Den Mar 2018 (2).JPG

5. Macromius

@Marsyas Mike Thanks Mike. I really like your young beardless Aurelius. Beautiful!

If anyone has even younger portraits I'd like to see them.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

They do vary and the first op coin has that Donald Sutherland look. Nice portraits!

RAGNAROK, TJC, Jbruce and 1 other person like this.
  7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sweet!! I have yet to delve into his coinage, wait, I think I have a denarius of his Wife. Anyway, I love how drastically his appearance changes on his coinage. The many faces of Marcus! Lol

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I believe my youngest is the denarius shared with Pius.
    rc2190bb0618.jpg

This one is fourree so many not count. Still, the Aurelius portrait is not all that bad. It certainly is better than the Pius.
    rc2193fd3428.jpg

My youngest bronze is this older, bearded sestertius from late in the Caesarship (158-9 AD)
    rc2275bb2837.jpg

9. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I am under no illusion that I will get a coin from each emperor. However, I am trying to get at least one coin from some of the most effective or infamous ones. In the past year I've added my first coins of Caracalla, Commodus, and Hadrian. Marcus Aurelius is next on the list. Hoping for a bronze type with the mature beard of the Greek philosopher. It's nice to see these portrait options.

Marsyas Mike and Macromius like this.
  10. Macromius

That is indeed a very young Marcus and a truly beautiful denarius. The Pius portrait is impressive. I like the fourree Marcus as well. It's interesting that the distinctive hair is already apparent.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I believe we agree on what I consider the proper order of acquisitions. I hate to see new collectors starting out feeling pressured to buy an Otho/Didius Julianus/Alexander of Carthage class coin when they have no Vespasian, Septimius Severus or Diocletian. I suppose we could define a new collection set called the Twelve least consequential Caesars consisting of me who could disappear from history with no one noticing. I have no particular drive to get a coin from each emperor but, after collecting for most of my life, I might be allowed the urge to get some of these footnote guys.

This sounds like a plan worthy of emulation. The only plan I like better is to feel free to get your second or two hundredth coins of these "effective and infamous ones." My plan is to go to a show or open an auction listing and see what is there that strikes me as something I wish I owned. This is not random gathering but the realization that you need to buy things when they are available to avoid wishing you had when they are not. The coin I want the most is the one I never knew existed or never thought I would be able to own.

12. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I like Doug's approach to collecting. Being surprised is a big part of it for me - I don't really know what I want until I see it, and sometimes only after I get it in hand.

For instance, after many years of collecting, I just got my first Gallienus, one of the most common emperors out there - it's not that I was avoiding him, I was just waiting for an attractive one that fit in my budget (not an easy fit, as it turned out). I'm very happy with it - the Apollo reverse, the sand patina. There are a lot better ones out there and maybe someday I'll land one, but like all the rest of my collection, it'll be by chance.

Gallienus - SALVS Apollo Ant Feb 2018 (2).JPG

Gallienus - SALVS Apollo Ant Feb 2018 (6).JPG

Even further off topic in regards to Marcus Aurelius, but I just got a batch of cheap Byzantines recently, and it was a tiny, very ragged half tetarteron of Manuel I that was my favorite - believe me, I was not "in the market" for a half tetarteron - it was something about the way St. George looked, some aspect that just appealed (or "spoke") to me. I'll keep an eye out for a better one, but something else unexpected will probably crop up...and I like this one well enough.

Byzantine - Fractions lot $20 for six Feb 18 (8).JPG

Sorry to ramble - I'll end with a Marcus Aurelius that I bought a few years back on eBay - it was listed as Antoninus Pius. The large eye appeals to me - I sometimes suspect an Eastern mint for some of these:

Marcus Aurelius - Den. Jan 15.jpg

13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a nice group of classic MA portraits, @Macromius. I tend to like the ones in bronze best.

I'll throw in two youthful provincial portraits.

THRACE, Philippopolis. AE26.
    Marcus Aurelius - Philippopolis.jpg

EGYPT, Alexandria. Billon Tetradrachm.
    Marcus Aurelius - Tetradrachm Zeus Staffieri Dattari 2500.jpg

And here's a posthumous issue. AE Sestertius, struck under Commodus.
    Marcus Aurelius - Sestertius Divus.jpg

14. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I definitely agree that sometimes you have to take what the market gives you.

Johnnie Black likes this.
  15. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Nice MA Portraits!! Here is my only young portrait. A non-radiate dupondius.
    MarcusAreliusDup339xO.jpg

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

17. alde

alde Always Learning

I only have a couple of his coins but do have this young portrait.
    Antoninus Pius AR Denarius Pius-Aurelius RIC 4176.jpg

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

MARCUS AURELIUS:
    RI MARCUS AURELIUS AR Den as Caesar TR POT VI COS II - Genius stg at altar hldg standard.jpg
    RI MARCUS AURELIUS AR Den as Caesar TR POT VI COS II - Genius stg at altar hldg standard

RI Aurelius Marcus 161-180 AE Sestertius S-C.jpg
    RI Aurelius Marcus 161-180 AE Sestertius S-C

19. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

20. Jovian363

Jovian363 Well-Known Member

Let me add two mature portraits to this growing thread MarcAurelImpVSeated.jpg MarcAurelSalutiAvgDenTRPXXXIII.jpg

21. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

I received my first ever Marcus Aurelius today and took some macro photos, this looks like the best thread to share them in. I look for a good, strong portrait more than anything else on ancient coins and yeah, MA sure is more hit and miss than many other emperors in that regard.. This one I quite liked, especially the eye which has been rendered more realistically than on some portraits I've seen. All this is of course just my own personal preference, there's nothing wrong with liking the large eyes. You could say there's something for everyone in MA's portraiture ;). He does look like Donald Sutherland at times though doesn't he? It's the shape of the nose I'm sure.. 1524570048725_1DMA-1980x1980.jpg 1524570057980_1DMA2-1980x1980.jpg 20180424_181732.jpg 20180424_181803.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted