Marcus Aurelius (Augustus) Provincial - How to read 'Reference'

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Topcat7, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I think that I have one of these, but I am unable to make sense of the 'Type Reference'. Can anyone 'walk' me through it please?
    Below is my coin.

Magical Snap - 2015.10.09 17.06 - 040.jpg
    Magical Snap - 2015.10.09 17.08 - 041.jpg

Magnus Maximus, Mikey Zee and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

RPC online has a page listing the full references cited in their abbreviations:

http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/abbreviations/

For the coin and screencap you showed, "S Suppl." = EA Sydenham, The Coinage of Caesarea in Cappadocia (1933), reprinted with a Supplement by AG Malloy (1978), so in that reference, the coin is listed as 338c, with "corr." indicating that there was a correction to the initial attribution (probably corrected in the Malloy supplement).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Mikey Zee and Topcat7 like this.
  4. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Thanks T.I.F.
    I have had a bit of a 'play' and I think that I am getting more familiar with it.
    Thank-you, again.
    I appreciate you passing your knowledge on.

TIF likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The number of works on that list should give a clue as to why we need the RPC online or in book form. As a spectator, I can hardly wait to see the proposed volume V on Septimius but it won't be ready until I'm too old to see, too poor to afford and too weak to lift what will be a massive book. If it ever is completed, the full set RPC will make RIC look like a set of pamphlets.

Mikey Zee, KIWITI and Topcat7 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted