Marcus Aurelius as Caesar - As with Salus - I need some help!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

My lack of RIC might be showing again. I got this very ratty as of Marcus Aurelius on eBay for $0.99 - I actually like the portrait quite a lot, and the surfaces are smooth despite the bad pitting (if you know what I mean).

My problem is attributing it. This is very similar to RIC 1319 AVRELIVS CAESAR
    AVG PII FIL, draped bust right / TR POT VIII COS II S-C, Salus standing left...

The problem is, my bust is naked, not draped. The draped ones are VERY draped (not just a hank of cloth on one shoulder), so they look a lot different than mine. I've ransacked the internet and found a few other examples of RIC 1319 but they are all draped. This seems to be a somewhat scarce issue, given the lack of examples I was able to track down. Anyway, can anybody help?

Many thanks!

Marcus Aurelius Caes As Salus Jun 2018 (3).JPG

Marcus Aurelius Caes As Salus Jun 2018 (5).JPG

randygeki, zumbly, Bing and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

In addition to drappery, the column on right of reverse seems to be shorter than others that show Salus leaning, left elbow literally bent resting on top of column. I'll keep looking.....

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Are you sure that's Salus??

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  5. Justin Lee

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

7. Marsyas Mike

Thank you all so much for your help with this. I thought I saw a snake, but I see now that it was actually drapery and a cornucopia and a lot of pits - sometimes I just stare at this stuff and talk myself into seeing things.

That RIC 1255 looks much more like mine. Justin Lee, TIF, I think that RIC 1255 is like mine - many thanks.

Justin Lee and Clavdivs like this.
  8. Justin Lee

Lmao, it's funny we found and used the exact same example from acsearch too! :woot:

Marsyas Mike and TIF like this.
  9. Justin Lee

Looking at it now, that'd be a long snake...
    Like J-Lo in Anaconda:
    Screenshot_20180624-192042.jpg

Modern day Salus?

10. Marsyas Mike

I always wondered what, or how, you feed a snake from a patera? I don't think they eat kibble...

TIF likes this.
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Interestingly, the version of this coin with COSII in the exergue is not in the British Museum collection. It's listed as a footnote to BMCRE 4, p. 289, 1788, which references Cohen 65.

Capture 1.JPG
    Here is the British Museum specimen (without the COSII):

0666872_001_l.jpg

Here is the listing in Cohen:

Capture 2.JPG

Andres2, Johndakerftw, TIF and 3 others like this.
  12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

It may be a bit ratty, but what a great deal!

Here's my young Marcus as, with Pietas:
    Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 10.32.06 PM.jpg

Bing, Andres2, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  13. Marsyas Mike

Wow, that is really interesting - thank you for digging this up, Roman Collector. It's exciting to know that I landed a rare one...even though it looks pretty horrible. I appreciate your passing this along.

14. Marsyas Mike

Well, I did pay $2.95 shipping, so it wasn't quite the deal I made it sound in the OP. I wish it looked like your MA Pietas - that is a very attractive coin.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I still can't think of many things to better spend $0.99 + $2.95 on :).

Mine has some pitting but a really delicious chocolate patina.

Marcus Aurelius - As Virtus 408.jpg
    MARCUS AURELIUS, as Caesar
    AE As. 11.05g, 27.7mm. Rome mint, AD 145. RIC III Antoninus Pius 1258b (scarce). O: AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG PII F, bare head right. R: COS II, Virtus, helmeted, in military dress, standing left, holding parazonium, pointed slightly upwards to left, in right hand and vertical spear in left, S C in fields.

Bing, Andres2, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  16. Marsyas Mike

Another very pretty MA as Caesar as, Zumbly... this is making me want to obtain a nice-looking one for my own collection. I definitely could use an upgrade!

Draft saved Draft deleted