Marcus Aurelius: 2nd Known AE of Olba?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Dec 17, 2017.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Hey friends, what do y'all think about this little mystery, a bronze I found in a mixed lot of provincials...

maolba.jpg
    I attribute it to Olba under Marcus Aurelius, which would make the coin the second known example of the type (possibly). The other example was Levante's plate coin, which CNG sold in 2011, Auction 269 Lot 263...

1152452.jpg
    Despite the fact that the busts on these coins look very different, I believe they are struck from the same dies. My coin got a weaker strike which didn't allow the beard detail to show, or any of the reverse lettering, but the rest of the details in both coins evince many point-to-point similarities.

My full attribution is as follows...

Marcus Aurelius, AD 161-180
    AE28, 11.5g, 12h. CILICIA, Olba.
    Obv.: AYT KAI M AYPH ANTONINOC; Draped bust right.
    Rev.: OLBEΩN; Dionysus standing left, holding thrysos and kantharos over panther.
    Reference: Staffieri, Olba 49 = SNG Levante 654. Extremely rare - the only example known to Staffieri was the Levante plate coin.

Here are some side-by-side images. What say you? Die match or John Anthony is seeing things again?

cng1.jpg
    cng2.jpg

Paul M., TIF, ominus1 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

One is an old bust, one is young. One is draped, other is not.

The reverse could be same dies though.

Andres2 likes this.
  4. John Anthony

I see them both as draped, and the bust on my coin looks younger because of the weak strike that eliminated much of the beard. Look at the lettering to the left of the bust - it looks identical on both coins.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It just seems like there is more neck shown on the right coin, where the left is more drapery.

6. John Anthony

Alegandron likes this.
  7. John Anthony

Yup, definitely more neck on the right, but that would also be due to a weakly-struck beard. I can't get over how similar the lettering is on both coins, so it makes me look for reasons why other points don't quite match, like the necks.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is with great pain that I must pass on the opportunity on saying JA is seeing things but I agree that they are the same dies.

Mikey Zee and John Anthony like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a cool coin! I say same dies as well. RPC Online lists a 4th example, from the SNG Levante supplement, but it's unpictured.

10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Does look to be the same dies IMHO...

Draft saved Draft deleted